Understanding Center of Mass: Properties & Physically Representing

In summary, the center of mass of an object is an abstract point that represents the average location of the mass in a system. It moves as if it is only subject to external forces and can be thought of as the point where all forces and torques act on the system. It is not necessarily located within the physical body of the object and can be different from the geometric center. It is important in understanding the dynamics of a system, as it can help determine how the system will react to external forces.
aaaa202
I don't feel I have a good understanding of what the center of mass of an object it, and what its properties are. I know it's the position of all mass elements weighted by their mass and divided by the total mass.
I have learned that the center of mass moves as if it was only subject to external forces. So say you pushed on a box of mass m with a certain force F, then the center of mass of that box should move with an acceleration given by F/m. But since the whole box moves with the same acceleration what is then the so special about this specific point?
I also have trouble finding out what exactly the center of mass represents physically. Say it is in the middle of the box, is the center of mass then the point particle situated in the midst of the box or is it a more abstract point?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
I don't feel I have a good understanding of what the center of mass of an object it, and what its properties are. I know it's the position of all mass elements weighted by their mass and divided by the total mass.
I have learned that the center of mass moves as if it was only subject to external forces. So say you pushed on a box of mass m with a certain force F, then the center of mass of that box should move with an acceleration given by F/m. But since the whole box moves with the same acceleration what is then the so special about this specific point?
I also have trouble finding out what exactly the center of mass represents physically. Say it is in the middle of the box, is the center of mass then the point particle situated in the midst of the box or is it a more abstract point?

The center of mass is just an abstract point in space, representing the "average location" of the mass of the system. There doesn't actually have to be anything there (eg. a donut - the center of mass is in the hole).

Note that all bits of the system don't have to move together. For example, if a firework explodes in mid-trajectory then its center of mass continues to follow the old trajectory (since no external force has acted on it), even though none of the constituent bits do.

The centre of mass is a unique point in a system, almost an average of all the bits of the mass in the system and their distance from the centre of mass. Any forces or torques acting on the system, like gravity, can be thought to act on the centre of mass. For something like a square uniform box, the centre of mass being within the body of the box might seem a bit obvious, and might not seem to make the problem any easier. However if you think about a system like the moon and the Earth for example, the moon is not really rotating about the Earth, they are both rotating around their combined centre of mass. For this system the centre of mass is within the body of the Earth, but in a different system it might be somewhere in the middle of the two. Here's a page about it. http://astro.unl.edu/naap/esp/centerofmass.html

Does that help?

If you accelerate an object it will try to resist as it has inertia. The reaction force is distributed throughout the mass but for most problems it can be considered to act at the center of mass.

If the force you applied to cause the acceleration doesn't act through the centre of mass a couple exists that will try to rotate the object.

But since the whole box moves with the same acceleration...

Not allways true. Ever ridden standing up on a bus? As it accelerates/brakes there is a tendency for you to fall over because the force acting to accelerate you acts on your feet and not through your centre of mas.

Related to Understanding Center of Mass: Properties & Physically Representing

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed and the object is in perfect balance. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses in an object or system. This can be done by multiplying the mass of each particle by its distance from a reference point and then dividing the total by the sum of the masses.

3. Why is the center of mass important?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the stability and balance of an object or system. It also allows us to predict the motion of an object under the influence of external forces.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object if the object is irregularly shaped or if the mass is not evenly distributed. In this case, the center of mass may be located in empty space.

5. How can the center of mass be physically represented?

The center of mass can be physically represented by a point or a small object that is suspended from a pivot point. This point or object will remain balanced and stationary when the object is in equilibrium, and it will move in the direction of any external forces acting on the object.