Understanding Bond Energies: X-Y Bond Energy Contribution

In summary, the bond energy (E A-B) between two bonded atoms, X and Y, is greatly influenced by the difference in their electronegativities (eX and eY). When X is small and Y is large, the bond energy will have a large ionic contribution due to the high ionic character of the bond. This is determined by the percentage difference in the electronegativities of the two atoms. Therefore, the size of the respective atoms plays a significant role in determining the bond energy and its ionic character.
guiromero
Hello.

Could someone please help me with this question about bond energy from an MIT course:

"For two bonded atoms X and Y, a small X and large Y will result in a bond energy (E A-B) with a large __________ contribution."

Thanks a lot if someone can help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I've already gotten the answer, it's "ionic".

Why is it ionic?

I got this answer from another forum and the person said that these types of bonds have a high ionic character, which is the percentage of difference between the electronegativity of two covalently bonded atoms.

Why would you expect the electronegativity of the respective atoms to depend upon the size of those atoms?

Sorry, I forgot to correct the statement. The correct is like that:

"For two bonded atoms X and Y, a small eX and large eY will result in a bond energy (E A-B) with a large __________ contribution."

Where e = electronegativity