Understanding Bike Mechanics: Simplifying the Tailwhip with Bar and Wheel Pivots

In summary: So, reducing the radius of the wheel does not have an influence on the torque required to turn it around the pivot.
joshd
I was discussing this with a friend:

Say you are doing a tailwhip on a bike (bike spins around pivot at headtube)

Simpify this by looking at it as a bar pivoted at one end, with a wheel mounted to the bar with the radius in the direction of the bar. We want to spin this around the pivot in the direction of the wheels axle. (The wheel is spinning, but I am not sure if this makes any difference?)

Now, if we make the wheel's radius smaller, does the force required to spin the wheel/bar around the pivot decrease? The "back edge" of the wheel is closer to the pivot, so less torque is needed to turn it around the pivot, but the "front edge" of the wheel is further from it, so more torque is needed to turn it around the pivot?

However, can the wheel not be though of a point mass, positioned at the axle? In this case, provided the wheel's mass does not change, the radius of the wheel is independent?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did not probably get it right (the movement part, I'm not really a bike monster, so I'm not sure about what a tailwhip is), but it looks like a spinning wheel doing O -> | -> O etc, and a bar doing something like \ -> | -> / with an overall movement like this one (3 photographs :P)
\ - | - /
O | O
watching from the side of the bike.
At this point you should have the torque of the wheel and the one of the bar. Reducing thw wheel's radius should reduce its torque leaving the same torque to the bar that remains the same as before.
So i didn't get the whole
The "back edge" of the wheel is closer to the pivot, so less torque is needed to turn it around the pivot, but the "front edge" of the wheel is further from it, so more torque is needed to turn it around the pivot?
thing.

At this point you should be able to see whether the change of radius is influent, depending on the density of mass of the wheel and the one of the bar, to see if the wheel influences the torque enough to make something change effectively.

Hope that helps.

SS

Here:

What the question is aiming at is this: what if you switch your wheels for 24" dia. instead of 26"? Assume mass of wheel stays the same.

The axle of the wheel is at the same position, so the wheel's mass is centred at the same point. But, the "back edge" of the wheel is 1" closer to the headtube (the pivot), and the "leading edge" of the wheel is 1 inch further away. But these effects don't balance, since they are different distances from the pivot?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding Bike Mechanics: Simplifying the Tailwhip with Bar and Wheel Pivots

What is the role of a bike mechanic?

Bike mechanics are responsible for maintaining, repairing, and building bicycles. They use specialized tools and knowledge of bike components to ensure that bikes are safe and in proper working condition.

What are the most common bike maintenance tasks?

The most common bike maintenance tasks include checking and adjusting tire pressure, lubricating the chain, adjusting brakes and gears, cleaning and degreasing the bike, and replacing worn out parts.

How often should I get my bike serviced?

It is recommended to get your bike serviced at least once a year. However, if you ride frequently or in harsh conditions, it may be necessary to get your bike serviced more often.

What are some signs that my bike needs repairs?

Some signs that your bike needs repairs include difficulty shifting gears, squeaking or grinding noises, wobbling or shaking while riding, and visible wear and tear on components such as the chain, tires, and brakes.

Can I learn bike mechanics on my own?

Yes, it is possible to learn bike mechanics on your own through online resources, books, and practice. However, it is recommended to take a class or workshop to learn proper techniques and safety precautions.