Understanding Big Oh: Exploring the Best Function for a Given Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on Big Oh notation, specifically finding the best Big-O function for the given function |n + 2| − |n / 3|. The speaker had trouble with the question and was looking for resources or explanations to better understand their incorrect answer of O(log2(n)). They then provide their attempt at a solution and state that they believe O(n) to be the correct answer, which was confirmed by the expert.
vr0nvr0n
Let me start by saying that this is from a 30 question assessment on Big Oh, Big Theta, and Big Omega. I understood every other question, however, even after being given the correct answer, I do not understand why my answer was wrong for this one. If you could point me in the direction of any resource that helps explain why my answer was incorrect, I would GREATLY appreciate it (or, of course, any explanation here is appreciated, even more so!).

Homework Statement

The question is this: Find the best Big-O function for the function |n + 2| − |n / 3|.

And here are the options (all logs are in base 2):
1. log(n)
2. n3
3. n
4. n2
5. n4
6. n * log(n)

I should state here that what I inferred from this question was that the "best Big-O function" was the one that was the most closely bounded to the original function, so n20 would be an incorrect, through technically accurate, answer.

Homework Equations

Relevant equations are, of course, our given function: |n + 2| − |n / 3| (in the question, it is not referred to as f(n), but I will refer to it as this for ease of reference in the next equation)

And, the definition of Big Oh, which tells us that if for some constant c and some number k where all n>=k,
if |f(n)|<= c|g(n)| for all of n, then g is Big Oh of f.

The Attempt at a Solution

By finding the least common denominator, we can write |n + 2| − |n / 3| as 2n/3 + 2 (since we are interested in what is going on as n becomes large, and when n = 0, the function is positive -- with an answer of 2 -- I expected combining these functions would be fine. This may be where the issue arose, however, if that's the case it is still unclear to me why this would be wrong).

Now, if we ignore constants, we can write this is 2n/3. Since, for all n>=k when k = 0 and when c = 1, it is the case that |2n/3|<= 1|n|, I determined that the best answer for this was n (also, since the equation moves in a linear way, this made sense by inspection before working this out).

This was incorrect and I was informed the correct answer was log(n) where the log is in base 2.

What am I misunderstanding?

Thank you all so much in advance,

- vr0n

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vr0nvr0n,

Your answer O(n) is correct and the answer O(log2(n)) is wrong.

I like Serena said:
Hi vr0nvr0n,

Your answer O(n) is correct and the answer O(log2(n)) is wrong.
Uggz...

I appreciate your reply! Unfortunately, now I have to attempt to get the credit!

Thank you!

Related to Understanding Big Oh: Exploring the Best Function for a Given Equation

What is "Big Oh for a Fraction of 'n'"?

Big Oh for a Fraction of 'n' is a mathematical concept used to analyze the efficiency of an algorithm. It measures how the time or space complexity of an algorithm changes as the input size, represented by 'n', increases.

How is "Big Oh for a Fraction of 'n'" calculated?

The Big Oh for a Fraction of 'n' is calculated by taking the largest term in the algorithm's time or space complexity formula and removing any constant factors or lower order terms. This results in a simplified expression that represents the growth rate of the algorithm as the input size increases.

Why is "Big Oh for a Fraction of 'n'" important?

Big Oh for a Fraction of 'n' allows us to compare the efficiency of different algorithms by looking at how they behave as the input size increases. This helps in choosing the most efficient algorithm for a given task and optimizing the performance of our code.

What are some examples of "Big Oh for a Fraction of 'n'"?

Some common examples of Big Oh for a Fraction of 'n' are O(1), O(log n), O(n), O(n^2), O(2^n), and O(n!). These represent constant, logarithmic, linear, quadratic, exponential, and factorial growth rates, respectively.

How can "Big Oh for a Fraction of 'n'" be improved?

Big Oh for a Fraction of 'n' can be improved by choosing more efficient algorithms or implementing optimization techniques such as memoization or dynamic programming. It is important to consider the trade-offs between time and space complexity when trying to improve Big Oh for a Fraction of 'n'.