Understanding Bicycle Gear Ratios

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the concept of gear ratios in bicycles. The problem at hand involves calculating gear ratio using the formula rfront/rear, with the given ratio changing from 4 to 0.7. This raises the question of whether the radii of the gears are changing, which is further complicated by the fact that the conversation participants are unfamiliar with bicycle gears. To provide clarity, a picture of a bicycle gearing system is shared, showing a rear wheel with a "rosetta" of 7 cog wheels with different diameters and a pedal setup with two wheels of different diameters. The final gear ratio is determined by the selected diameter at the pedal setup divided by the selected diameter on the rear wheel ro
henry3369
I'm confused as to how gear ratios work in bicycles. I'm given a problem which says that gear ratio = rfront/rear. It then says that the gear ratio changes from 4 to 0.7. Does this mean that the radii of the gears are changing? I'm unfamiliar with gears on a bicycle so I'm not sure if the radius of the gear can change,

Physics news on Phys.org
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTihNh9C5plUKlxcOgm-hU0PTWT4QxV1HllZcBjWJcJ-Oqu3eD1.jpg

Here is a picture of a bicycle gearing system. The rear wheel has a "rosetta" of 7 cog wheels with different diameters. The pedal setup has just two wheels with different diameters. The gear ratio is then (selected diameter at the pedal setup)/(selected diameter on the rear wheel rosetta).

Likes Murli and anorlunda

Related to Understanding Bicycle Gear Ratios

What is a bicycle gear ratio?

A bicycle gear ratio is the ratio between the number of teeth on the front chainring (attached to the pedals) and the number of teeth on the rear cassette (attached to the back wheel). It determines how much power is transferred from the rider to the wheels with each pedal stroke, and ultimately affects the speed and effort required to ride a bicycle.

How do I calculate the gear ratio of my bicycle?

To calculate the gear ratio, divide the number of teeth on the front chainring by the number of teeth on the rear cassette. For example, if your bike has a front chainring with 50 teeth and a rear cassette with 25 teeth, the gear ratio would be 50/25 = 2.

What is a "low" and "high" gear ratio?

A low gear ratio means that the front chainring has fewer teeth than the rear cassette, resulting in easier pedaling and slower speed. This is useful for riding up hills or in difficult terrain. A high gear ratio means that the front chainring has more teeth than the rear cassette, resulting in harder pedaling and faster speed. This is useful for riding on flat or downhill terrain.

How does gear ratio affect my riding experience?

The gear ratio you choose can greatly impact your riding experience. A lower gear ratio will require less effort to pedal, but may result in slower speeds. A higher gear ratio will require more effort to pedal, but can result in faster speeds. It is important to choose the right gear ratio for your riding goals and the terrain you will be riding on.

Can I change the gear ratio on my bicycle?

Yes, the gear ratio on a bicycle can be changed by replacing the front chainring or rear cassette with ones that have a different number of teeth. This is often done to suit the rider's preferences or to adjust for different types of riding. However, it is important to note that changing the gear ratio may also require other adjustments, such as changing the length of the bike's chain.