Understanding Bernoulli's Principle in Fluid Dynamics: Quick Question Answered

In summary, the conversation discussed the applicability of Bernoulli's equation in a horizontal tube with an open end. The question was raised about the difference in pressure before and after the tube and whether it is affected by the presence of the atmosphere and the depth of the water. It was confirmed that Bernoulli's equation is valid along any streamline, including the horizontal line in question. The only factor that would affect the application of the equation is if the open vertical tube caused the streamline to no longer be horizontal.
fobbz
I understand everything up to B). I believe Bernoulli's is applicable here, however I am unsure as to whether or not the pressure before the tube (pgh) is the same or different as the pressure at the tube pgh +p0. I ask the same question for the opposite end of the tube.
I know that pressure is constant along a horizontal line however at the tube the water is open to the atmosphere and thus experiences that pressure, and also has a higher depth than before the tube.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 9.53.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 9.53.41 PM.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
hi fobbz! :smile:
fobbz said:
… I am unsure as to whether or not the pressure before the tube (pgh) is the same or different as the pressure at the tube pgh +p0. I ask the same question for the opposite end of the tube.
I know that pressure is constant along a horizontal line …

that's correct …

Bernoulli's equation is valid along any streamline, and that horizontal line is a streamline

(that open vertical tube would only make a difference if it caused the streamline to be no longer horizontal)

Related to Understanding Bernoulli's Principle in Fluid Dynamics: Quick Question Answered

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) behave and interact with their surroundings, including how they flow, how they mix, and how they transfer energy and momentum.

2. What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has many practical applications, such as designing airplanes and other vehicles, understanding weather patterns, predicting ocean currents, and developing medical treatments for cardiovascular diseases.

3. How is fluid dynamics related to other fields of science?

Fluid dynamics is closely related to other fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It also has connections to other branches of mathematics, such as calculus and differential equations.

4. What are some key equations used in fluid dynamics?

Some of the most important equations in fluid dynamics include the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of viscous fluids, and the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in a closed system.

5. How is fluid dynamics used in everyday life?

Fluid dynamics plays a role in many everyday activities, such as driving a car, using a shower, and cooking. It also helps us understand natural phenomena, such as how birds fly and how waves form on the ocean.