Understanding Autotransformers for Solving Homework Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an autotransformer and how it differs from a normal transformer. The speaker is confused about how their teacher was able to add 12V to the primary voltage of 120V to get 132V as the answer. They also do not understand a diagram their teacher drew for the auto-transformer. Another speaker explains that essentially, an autotransformer is a single coil with a "tap" along its length which divides it into two sections, and their teacher simply connected the wires of a two-coil transformer to form the equivalent of an autotransformer. The speaker asks for a better way to visualize this concept and the other speaker explains how by making the connection shown, the
galaxy_twirl

Homework Statement

2pt8lk8.jpg

I require some help for part i for now. :)

Homework Equations

N1/N2 = V1/V2
N1/N2 = I2/I1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing the question like a normal transformer, but the result I got was vastly different from my teacher's. I also don't understand how my teacher could add 12V to the primary voltage of 120V to get 132V as the answer. I also don't understand a diagram he drew for the auto-transformer. Does anyone understand what this diagram mean?

1z1qpus.jpg

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially an auto-transformer is a single coil with a "tap" along its length which divides it into two sections (or two coils if you will). The two sections are inductively mutually coupled.

Fig1.gif

You teacher took an ordinary two-coil transformer and connected its wires to form the equivalent of an auto-transformer.

gneill said:
Essentially an auto-transformer is a single coil with a "tap" along its length which divides it into two sections (or two coils if you will). The two sections are inductively mutually coupled.

View attachment 75448

You teacher took an ordinary two-coil transformer and connected its wires to form the equivalent of an auto-transformer.

I see. Thank you. :) I am puzzled why the voltage of the secondary side can be higher than that of the primary side as the "main" transformer has turn ratios 120:12. I am also unable to see how the figure my teacher drew is related to the diagram you have shown above as they look quite different, although I know that your diagram is correct. ><

Is there a way to visualise this better?

Thank you. :)

galaxy_twirl said:
Is there a way to visualise this better?
By making the connection shown, you're just "stacking" the secondary on top of the primary. The flux linkage still induces the same voltage on the secondary, but now it is added to the potential at the top of the primary due to where the secondary and primary conductors are connected.

Fig1.gif

Likes davenn
gneill said:
By making the connection shown, you're just "stacking" the secondary on top of the primary. The flux linkage still induces the same voltage on the secondary, but now it is added to the potential at the top of the primary due to where the secondary and primary conductors are connected.

View attachment 75545

OHHHHHH! This is awesome! I can totally understand it now! Thanks! :D:D You save my life! I'm going to have my exams in a few weeks' time and this autotransformer thing has been a bit abstract to me as it is rather new. Haha.

Just to confirm, if I were to draw the diagonal line the way other way (i.e. from bottom left to top-right), will the above setup become a step down autotransformer?

Thank you so much! :D

Not quite. Connect the tops of the windings (see figure). You can imagine the primary and secondary as having their labeled voltages and connect their wires accordingly to reinforce or oppose each other.

Fig2.gif

gneill said:
Not quite. Connect the tops of the windings (see figure). You can imagine the primary and secondary as having their labeled voltages and connect their wires accordingly to reinforce or oppose each other.

View attachment 75546

I see. I think I will look at an example to check my understanding. :) Thank you once again.

Oh. Just wondering, is there a name for the diagram above, where you have a line connecting 2 sides of a transformer?

galaxy_twirl said:
Oh. Just wondering, is there a name for the diagram above, where you have a line connecting 2 sides of a transformer?
Nothing specific comes to mind, other than it results in an autotransformer configuration.

I see. Thank you. :) I will ask again if I run into any problems. I shall have to run for class now. Bye! :D

Hi gneill. Back to this thread on autotransformers, may I ask, are there any good books or resources on autotransformers, especially on combining a 2-coil transformer into an autotransformer?

This is because I think I still do not really get the logic behind the 2-coil-to-1 configuration and hence would like to read up more on it.

Thanks! :D

galaxy_twirl said:
Hi gneill. Back to this thread on autotransformers, may I ask, are there any good books or resources on autotransformers, especially on combining a 2-coil transformer into an autotransformer?

This is because I think I still do not really get the logic behind the 2-coil-to-1 configuration and hence would like to read up more on it.

Thanks! :D
I don't know of any particular books (at least I don't own one), but if you do a web search on "autotransformer tutorial" you should uncover quite a bit of material. For example:
http://www.faculty.umassd.edu/xtras/catls/resources/binarydoc/3525.ppt
A powerpoint presentation: http://www.faculty.umassd.edu/xtras/catls/resources/binarydoc/3525.ppt

All About Circuits ebook entry: The Autotransformer

gneill said:
I don't know of any particular books (at least I don't own one), but if you do a web search on "autotransformer tutorial" you should uncover quite a bit of material. For example:
A powerpoint presentation: http://www.faculty.umassd.edu/xtras/catls/resources/binarydoc/3525.ppt

All About Circuits ebook entry: The Autotransformer

I see. Thank you! :)

Related to Understanding Autotransformers for Solving Homework Problems

1. What is an Autotransformer?

An autotransformer, also known as a step-up transformer, is a type of electrical transformer that has a single winding and is used to increase the voltage of an alternating current (AC) power supply.

2. How does an Autotransformer work?

An autotransformer works by using a single winding to connect the input voltage to the output voltage. This creates a shared portion of the winding, resulting in a ratio of input to output voltage. This ratio determines the step-up voltage of the transformer.

3. What is the purpose of a Step-up Autotransformer?

The main purpose of a step-up autotransformer is to increase the voltage of an AC power supply, typically for distribution or transmission purposes. It is also commonly used in electronic devices to step-up the voltage for specific components.

4. What are the advantages of using an Autotransformer?

Some advantages of using an autotransformer include its compact size, lower cost, and higher efficiency compared to traditional transformers. It also allows for multiple output voltages to be created from a single input voltage.

5. What are the safety precautions when using an Autotransformer?

When using an autotransformer, it is important to follow proper safety precautions such as ensuring proper insulation, avoiding overloading the transformer, and using appropriate grounding techniques. It is also important to have a qualified electrician or engineer properly install and maintain the transformer.