Understanding Angular Momentum and Torque in Rotating Objects

In summary, when a uniform rod is rotating about its longitudinal axis in space and a force is applied perpendicular to this axis, it will induce a torque that causes a change in angular momentum. This change will cause the rod to wobble or precess about the new angular momentum vector, rather than suddenly changing direction.
SprucerMoose
Hey guys,

If I have a uniform rod rotating about its longitudinal axis of symmetry in space it will have an angular momentum vector that is colinear to this axis. If I now apply a force directly perpendicular to this (as shown in attachment) it will induce a torque that is perpendicular to the angular momentum vector. The centre of mass of the object must accelerate in the direction of the applied force and the torque will cause a change in angular momentum.

My question is will this torque just cause this rod to kick up or down, i.e. the angular momentum vector follows the direction of the torque vector and/or will the rod also attempt to rotate about axis 2 in the diagram? If it does rotate about axis 2, where does the torque come from to change the perpendicular angular momentum vector.

torque question.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you mean the applied force F is impulsive. Let the initial angular momentum be L1, pointing to the right. The torque resulting from F will cause a change in angular momentum, adding a vertical component ΔL. The new total angular momentum will be the vector sum L2 = L1 + ΔL. As a result the rod is no longer rotating about its axis of symmetry. At the instant the force was applied, the rod was pointing directly to the right. It will not suddenly change direction, but rather wobble (precess) about the direction of L2.

Related to Understanding Angular Momentum and Torque in Rotating Objects

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum (L) is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (I) by its angular velocity (ω): L = I * ω. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, and the angular velocity is the rate at which the object is rotating.

3. What is the law of conservation of angular momentum?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that if there are no external torques acting on the system, the total angular momentum will not change over time.

4. How does angular momentum relate to rotational motion?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. Objects that have a larger angular momentum are harder to stop or change their direction of rotation, similar to how objects with more linear momentum are harder to stop or change their direction of motion.

5. What are some real-world examples of angular momentum?

Some real-world examples of angular momentum include a spinning top, a figure skater performing a pirouette, and a spinning planet. In each of these cases, the angular momentum is conserved unless an external torque is applied.