Understanding Alternating Currents Motors - Issues & Solutions

In summary: Is your motor doing the same thing for the same purpose?There are three types of single-phase ac induction motors with centrifugal starting switches; split-phase, capacitor-start, and repulsion-start. Both split phase and capacitor start are reversed by changing the wiring polarity of the starting coil. The repulsion-start motor is reversed by means of a lever to rotate the brush location. See the lever in my attachment photo above, to the left of the motor axle.
Justinyeoh
Hi,I am new here^^17 years old...

I got a little problem with understanding how simple alternating currents motors/AC Motors work...

Anyone has a good Table or Figure??

Magnetic problems:
1)Whats the difference between inducing current and normal electric current??
2)Whats the meaning of "Cutting the Magnetic Flux"
3)Whats the good thing of cutting magnetic flux

Sorry for asking so many questions at once...

Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
pallidin said:
Perhaps this will be of interest to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_motor
The Wikipedia website overlooks an important class of single-phase induction motors sold from about ~1905 to after WW I; the repulsion-start induction motor, which had a special set of rotor conductors (in addition to the squirrel cage) attached to a commutator, which the brushes lifted off of when the rotor neared the running RPM. See attached photo of one in my garage (Century Motor, U. S. Pat. Off. date 1915) with a radial commutator. One nice feature is that the starting surge current is lower, and the starting torque is higher, than an equivalent HP capacitor-start induction motor.

Bob S

Attachments

• Motor Repulsion 006.jpg
    Motor Repulsion 006.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 446
Bob S said:
The Wikipedia website overlooks an important class of single-phase induction motors sold from about ~1905 to after WW I; the repulsion-start induction motor, which had a special set of rotor conductors (in addition to the squirrel cage) attached to a commutator, which the brushes lifted off of when the rotor neared the running RPM. See attached photo of one in my garage (Century Motor, U. S. Pat. Off. date 1915) with a radial commutator. One nice feature is that the starting surge current is lower, and the starting torque is higher, than an equivalent HP capacitor-start induction motor.

Bob S

I have worked on similar "modern" single phase AC motors. One used a spring loaded "centrifugal" mechanism, to open a switch to the "starter winding" once the motor was at speed. (More current/torque for start-up).

Is your motor doing the same thing for the same purpose?

There are three types of single-phase ac induction motors with centrifugal starting switches; split-phase, capacitor-start, and repulsion-start. Both split phase and capacitor start are reversed by changing the wiring polarity of the starting coil. The repulsion-start motor is reversed by means of a lever to rotate the brush location. See the lever in my attachment photo above, to the left of the motor axle.

Bob S

Related to Understanding Alternating Currents Motors - Issues & Solutions

1. What is an alternating current (AC) motor?

An AC motor is a type of electric motor that operates by using alternating current, where the flow of electricity periodically reverses direction. These motors are commonly used in household appliances, industrial equipment, and many other applications.

2. How does an AC motor work?

An AC motor works by using electromagnetic induction to generate a rotating magnetic field. This field interacts with the motor's rotor, causing it to rotate and produce mechanical energy.

3. What are some common issues with AC motors?

Some common issues with AC motors include overheating, bearing failure, and voltage fluctuations. These issues can result in decreased efficiency, increased maintenance costs, and potentially even motor failure.

4. How can these issues be solved?

To address these issues, proper maintenance and regular inspections are crucial. This includes keeping the motor clean and well-lubricated, monitoring voltage levels, and replacing any worn or damaged parts. In some cases, upgrading to a higher quality motor may also be beneficial.

5. Are there any alternatives to AC motors?

Yes, there are other types of electric motors, such as direct current (DC) motors and synchronous motors. However, AC motors are often preferred due to their lower cost, simpler design, and ability to handle high power loads. The type of motor used will depend on the specific application and requirements.