Understanding AC Power: Maximum and Minimum Currents on Resistor and Inductance

In summary, AC power currents on resistors and inductances have both maximum and minimum values that are determined by the electrical components' properties and the frequency of the alternating current. The maximum current on a resistor is dependent on the power supply voltage and the resistance of the component, while the minimum current is determined by the resistance alone. In contrast, the maximum current on an inductance is determined by the inductance value and the frequency of the AC current, while the minimum current is determined by the inductive reactance. Understanding these maximum and minimum currents is crucial in designing and analyzing AC circuits, as they affect the efficiency and stability of the system.
0fibonacci1

Homework Statement

I have some questions about powers in AC circuit. What is the maximum and minimum current power on resistor and inductance.

Homework Equations

Um = U / V2
Im = I / V2

The Attempt at a Solution

prmax = U*I=(Um/V2)*(Im/V2)=(Um*Im)/2. But answer seems to actually be that prmax = Um*Im, how can that be? And for plmax = 1/2 Um * I am plmin=- 1/2 Um *Im

Physics news on Phys.org
hi 0fibonacci1! :smile:

your notation is difficult to understand :redface:

here's an extract from the pf library on impedance
Power:

Power = work per time = voltage times charge per time = voltage times current:

[tex]P = VI =\ V_{max}I_{max}\cos(\omega t + \phi/2)\cos(\omega t - \phi/2)[/tex]
[tex]=\ V_{max}I_{max}(\cos\phi + \cos2\omega t)/2[/tex]​
(because [itex]2cosAcosB = cos(A-B) + cos(A+B))[/itex])
[tex]=\ V_{rms}I_{rms}(\cos\phi + \cos2\omega t)[/tex]
[tex]=\ \left(V_{rms}^2\left/|Z|\right.\right)(\cos\phi + \cos2\omega t)[/tex]​

So (instantaneous) power is the constant part, [itex]P_{av} = V_{rms}I_{rms}\cos\phi[/itex] (the average power), plus a component varying with double the circuit frequency, [itex]V_{rms}I_{rms}\cos2\omega t[/itex] (so a graph of the whole power is a sine wave shifted by a ratio [itex]\cos\phi[/itex] above the x-axis).​

0fibonacci1 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

prmax = U*I=(Um/V2)*(Im/V2)=(Um*Im)/2.
It almost seems that you might be using V2 as denoting 2 ?

Related to Understanding AC Power: Maximum and Minimum Currents on Resistor and Inductance

What is AC power?

AC power, or alternating current power, is the flow of electric charge that periodically reverses direction. This type of power is commonly used in household and industrial electrical systems.

How is AC power generated?

AC power is generated by power plants using a device called an alternator. The alternator converts mechanical energy, usually from a turbine, into electrical energy.

What is the difference between AC power and DC power?

The main difference between AC power and DC power is the direction of the flow of electric charge. AC power periodically changes direction while DC power flows in one direction only.

What are the advantages of using AC power?

AC power is more efficient for long-distance transmission, can be easily converted to different voltages, and is safer for use in homes and businesses due to the lower voltage levels.

What are some common applications of AC power?

AC power is used in a wide range of applications, including powering household appliances, industrial machinery, and electronic devices. It is also used in transportation systems such as trains and cars.