Understanding Absolute Error & Resistance of Wires

In summary, Absolute Error is a measure of uncertainty in a measurement and is expressed either as a percentage (relative error) or in the unit of measurement (absolute error). It is important to use the correct type of error when performing calculations. The formula for worst case % error is absolute error divided by the smallest reading, multiplied by 100.
khizman
:confused:

Anyone can explain to me what Absoloute Error is and what this means:

Worst case % error = Absolote error/ Smallest reading * 100

For Voltmetre ______ %
For Ammetere ______ %
For Length _______ %
For Diametre _______%

this if for a project on resistance of wires. 3 parts length, thickness, type of material.

heres a screenie of a sample of my reuslts
http://img439.imageshack.us/img439/9977/screenei4xw.jpg

:confused: Thanks For any help in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
khizman said:
Worst case % error = Absolote error/ Smallest reading * 100
I have never heard of "worst case error." But anyway...

Error is stated in two ways: relative error and absolute error.

The relative error is the percentage form such as " 20 meters plus or minus 5%"

The absolute error is in the unit of measurement, indicating the uncertainty of the final digit, such as "20 meters plus or minus 1 meter"

Notice in both cases the error is the same. When adding or subtracting quantities, you must add the absolute error. When multiplying or dividing quantites, you add the releative error.

this plus or minus, in my case i don't have any plus or minus i don't think?

I know that my crocodile clip was 2 mm so that must affect my length measurement in some way/

the plus or minus is the uncertainly of the measurement. If your alligator clip made your measurement uncertain by 2 mm, so that your measurement is "between 23 and 25 mm," then the measurement is :
24 mm plus or minus 1 mm. (relative error) or
24 mm plus or minus 4% .

hmm so that mean when i meaure my length of 5 cm (50mm) it could be plus or minus 4% is that corect?

khizman said:
hmm so that mean when i meaure my length of 5 cm (50mm) it could be plus or minus 4% is that corect?

No because your croc clip was always 2mm its length is not affected by an increased length of wire, you need to use the absolute error. Therefore, your measurements will always be [itex] X mm \;\; \pm 2mm[/itex]. Do you follow?

-Hoot

but say i measure 5 cm isn't my crocodile clip affecting that length by 2mm
plus or minus?

2 mm is 4% of 50 mm, so it would be
50 mm +/- 4% [latex isn't working for me: "+/-" means "plus or minus"]
2mm is 3% of 66mm, so that would be
66 mm +/-3%

both have the same absolute error, but different relative errors.

Last edited:
so to work this formula out of,

worst case % error = absoloute error (is that 4% or +/- 2mm?) / smallest reading ( 5cm? ) *100

Worst case;

[tex]=\pm \frac{2\times 10^{-3}}{0.05} \times 100[/tex]

Regards,
~Hoot

Related to Understanding Absolute Error & Resistance of Wires

What is absolute error?

Absolute error is a measure of the difference between the actual value and the calculated value of a quantity. It is expressed as a positive value and is used to evaluate the accuracy of a measurement or calculation.

How is absolute error calculated?

Absolute error is calculated by subtracting the actual value from the calculated value, taking the absolute value of the difference, and then dividing by the actual value. The result is typically expressed as a percentage.

Why is understanding absolute error important in science?

Understanding absolute error is important in science because it allows for the evaluation of the accuracy of measurements and calculations. It also helps in determining the precision of instruments and identifying sources of error in experiments.

What is resistance of a wire?

Resistance of a wire is the measure of its ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is affected by factors such as the type of material, length, and cross-sectional area of the wire.

How does the resistance of a wire affect its performance?

The resistance of a wire affects its performance by influencing the amount of current that can flow through it. A higher resistance means that more energy is lost as heat, which can lead to decreased efficiency and potential damage to the wire.