Understanding 10GHZ CPU Technology: Obstacles and Resources

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu Processor
In summary: Thermal losses occur when you are putting several billions of transistors together on a small area and switching them on and off again several billion times per second. The faster we switch the transistors on and off, the more heat will be generated. Without proper cooling, they might fail and be destroyed.A lower operating clock speed will generate less heat and ensure the longevity of the processor. However, an increase in clock speed implies a voltage increase and there is a cubic dependency between this and the power consumption......The overwhelming benefit of multicores can be derived from the following reasoning: When cutting down the clock speed by 30%, the power is reduced to 35% of its original consumption, due the cubic dependency (0.7*
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
What are the current obstacles from having one core 10 GHZ CPU processor?

What books/courses do you propose to read/take in order to understand the theory behind CPU technology?

I assume how to cool such a processor is one of the obstacles, but there are more, right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A couple things come to mind here.
First as you mentioned cooling is an issue.
I'm not sure they have any crystal they could use to build an oscillator that fast (not sure about that though)
Other components slow down the computer too much, HD, Memory access so there may not even be an advantage to go that fast.
Signal propagation delays become even more of an issue. In the current processor pipeline there are wasted cycles to simply allow the signal to travel far enough.

Cost is probably a large driving factor as well. We hit a point where it was more cost effective to improve performance with other methods (cleaner ISA, caching, better compiler optimizer)

Most of the reason comes down to current design conventions reaching the limits of what transistors are capable of. There's a useful blog post on the topic here: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/havent-cpu-clock-speeds-increased-last-years/.

Comsol.com/blogs said:
...The scaling of voltage and current with length is reaching its limits, since transistor gates have become too thin, affecting their structural integrity, and currents are starting to leak.

Furthermore, thermal losses occur when you are putting several billions of transistors together on a small area and switching them on and off again several billion times per second. The faster we switch the transistors on and off, the more heat will be generated. Without proper cooling, they might fail and be destroyed. One implication of this is that a lower operating clock speed will generate less heat and ensure the longevity of the processor. Another severe drawback is that an increase in clock speed implies a voltage increase and there is a cubic dependency between this and the power consumption...

...The overwhelming benefit of multicores can be derived from the following reasoning: When cutting down the clock speed by 30%, the power is reduced to 35% of its original consumption, due the cubic dependency (0.7*0.7*0.7 ~ 0.35).

Yet, computing performance is also reduced by 30%. But when operating two compute cores running with 70% of the original clock speed, we have 140% of the original compute power using only 70% of the original power consumption (2 x 35%).

Likes DrClaude
MathematicalPhysicist said:
What are the current obstacles from having one core 10 GHZ CPU processor?
Several, but I will just mention a non-obvious:

Take a clock running at 10GHz and assume a 50% duty cycle. Then each half period will be 50ps (pico-seconds). Since the speed of electrical signals in wires is about 200 000km/s, this is equivalent to 20cm/ns. Thus, 50ps corresponds to 1cm - which again means that after 1cm your clock will be 180° out of phase! Since the current size of an IC is about 1x1 cm, you already have to pay attention to your wire lengths at 4GHz (current technology), and this will be at least twice as hard at 10GHz.

When you get the chance, pick up a modern motherboard and look at the traces from the CPU to the memory. Some of them are "squiggly" in order to assure that all lines have the same length - and the memory clock is about 1GHz (yes, I know about 2166MHz memory, but that is DDR - double data rate).

One of the consequences of the line length problem is that fast interfaces have gone from parallel to serial (one data line matches its own length exactly).

Likes Mech_Engineer and MathematicalPhysicist
cpscdave said:
I'm not sure they have any crystal they could use to build an oscillator that fast (not sure about that though)
High frequency on chip oscillator phase locked to an external slower frequency?

CWatters said:
High frequency on chip oscillator phase locked to an external slower frequency?

Just like you use today. Typically the external clock is around 100 MHz.

One could easily build a custom Z-80 that goes to 10 GHz. Fewer transistors means easier overclocking.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
A lot of the reasons for the limit of overall speed has to do with electrical impedance, that is resistance in proportion to frequency, and the power required to overcome that impedance. As the switching frequency increases you need more power to overcome the inductance and capacitance of the circuits, that actually translates to larger (and more power hungry) transistors, also it takes more time to overcome this increased impedance, the capacitance and inductance takes time to charge (and therefore switch).

The reason why CPU's get hotter when working at higher frequencies is due to the extra power to overcome the impedance.

The primary problems are power dissipation and inductive/capacitive effects, as mentioned above.

To elaborate on the power dissipation problem, CMOS circuits in theory only conduct current and thus dissipate power while transistors are switching (there is some leakage though particularly due to quantum tunneling for modern circuits, so static power dissipation is still there). When they are either off or on and NOT switching they do not conduct current. While the frequency increases the time the IC spends switching becomes much higher, and thus power dissipation becomes higher.

leright said:
there is some leakage though particularly due to quantum tunneling for modern circuits, so static power dissipation is still there
I think you are underestimating the static current. And this isn't showing 14nm,
Natl4Fig1.gif

meBigGuy said:
I think you are underestimating the static current. And this isn't showing 14nm,
Natl4Fig1.gif
Which part of my comment made you think that? I am just saying that dynamic power consumption is one of the primary causes of power consumption and that is obviously related to clock frequency.

Last edited:
Probably the biggest reason is lack of a market. All the technical problems can be overcome. I suspect they could build a 15 ps (PicoSecond) ECL (emitter coupled logic) set if anyone was willing to pay for it. However all the problems the other engineers listed still come back to bite us. The chip would need to be small. The timing would be difficult to manage. Thus the chip would lack some abilities we have come to expect in modern CPUs. And all of this would cost a lot more. Why pay more for less?

Video imaging has long been the driver of CPU advances. Once we developed good graphics drivers, there was less incentive to push ahead on speed. Add to this the enormous advances in programing algorithms and it's cheaper to use several processors than get too exotic on hardware.

Still, should there be a breakthrough in 3D circuitry, that might change. (3D circuitry shortens trace length, but dumping heat becomes a much bigger problem, particularly during manufacturing, but also in operation.) Cheap 3D circuits would likely lead to faster clock speeds.

leright said:
Which part of my comment made you think that? I am just saying that dynamic power consumption is one of the primary causes of power consumption and that is obviously related to clock frequency.
I'm saying that in modern processes static power dominates, that is, is the primary cause.

meBigGuy said:
I'm saying that in modern processes static power dominates, that is, is the primary cause.

Indeed. I don't debate this fact.

Related to Understanding 10GHZ CPU Technology: Obstacles and Resources

1. What is 10GHZ CPU technology and why is it important?

10GHZ CPU technology refers to processors that can perform tasks at a clock speed of 10 gigahertz. This high clock speed allows for faster and more efficient processing, making it important for tasks that require a lot of computing power, such as gaming, video editing, and scientific simulations.

2. What are the obstacles to achieving 10GHZ CPU technology?

One of the main obstacles is heat. As processors run at higher speeds, they generate more heat, which can lead to overheating and damage. Another obstacle is the size of transistors, as smaller transistors are needed to increase clock speeds but they are more difficult to manufacture.

3. How do manufacturers overcome these obstacles?

To overcome heat issues, manufacturers use advanced cooling systems and design techniques to dissipate heat. They also use materials with better thermal conductivity, such as copper, and incorporate multiple cores to distribute the workload and reduce heat generation. To address the size of transistors, manufacturers use advanced lithography techniques and materials, such as silicon germanium, which allow for smaller and more efficient transistors.

4. What resources are available for researching and understanding 10GHZ CPU technology?

There are various resources available, such as technical articles, research papers, and conferences, that discuss the latest advancements in 10GHZ CPU technology. Additionally, computer hardware manufacturers often provide detailed information on their websites about the technology used in their processors.

5. What are the potential future developments in 10GHZ CPU technology?

One potential development is the use of alternative materials, such as carbon nanotubes and graphene, which have the potential to increase clock speeds even further. Another possibility is the use of quantum computing, which utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics to perform calculations at unprecedented speeds. Additionally, advancements in cooling technology and manufacturing processes may also lead to faster and more efficient 10GHZ CPUs.