Understand Theorem 2.15 - Bruce Cooperstein's Advanced Linear Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the correspondence and isomorphism theorems in advanced linear algebra, specifically focusing on Theorem 2.15 and its proof. Questions are raised regarding the assumption of surjectivity and linearity in the proof, and the use of two different mappings denoted as $T$. The correspondence theorem for groups is applied to show that an abelian subgroup of $V$ that is closed under scalar multiplication will be mapped to an abelian subgroup of $W$ under a linear transformation $T: V \to W$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Bruce Cooperstein's book: Advanced Linear Algebra ... ...

I am focused on Section 2.3 The Correspondence and Isomorphism Theorems ... ...

I need further help with understanding Theorem 2.15 ...

Theorem 2.15 and its proof read as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5170In the above text ... in the proof of part (ii) we read the following:

" ... By i) above, it (the mapping being considered) is surjective ... ... "

My question is as follows:

How does it follow that the mapping being considered is surjective ... ?

Further, I am bothered that in part (i) we assumed T was surjective ... and this is not assumed in the proof of (ii) ... how then can we use part (i) as Cooperstein does? ... can someone please clarify this issue ...

Help with both the above issues/questions will be appreciated ...

Peter*** EDIT ***

A further concern to the above is the following:

Do we assume that the map T in part (ii) is a linear transformation ... I am assuming that we do ... is that right?*** EDIT 2 ***

Re-reading the Theorem I note that the introductory sentence is as follows:

"Let \(\displaystyle T \ : \ V \longrightarrow W\) be a surjective linear transformation ... ... and this statement applies to the T in both (i) and (ii) ... which means that I have not been reading the Theorem carefully enough ... apologies if this (as I suspect) answers my problems above ... BUT ... if this is the case then surely in part (ii) Cooperstein should not have said " ... By i) above, it (the mapping being considered) is surjective ... ... " he should have said " ... By assumption, it (the mapping being considered) is surjective ... ... " ... ?

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are "two" $T$'s.

The first is a linear transformation $T: V \to W$.

The second is a mapping from the SET of subspaces of $V$ that contain $\text{ker }T$ to the SET of subspaces of $W$.

With the first, we say $T(v) = w$ (the lower-case Latin letters are *elements*).

With the second, we say $T(V) = W$ (the upper-case Latin letters represent *vector spaces*).

Perhaps we should call the second mapping something like $\hat{T}$, and write, for a subspace $U$ of $V$:

$\hat{T}(U) = \{w \in W: w = T(u), u \in U\}$.

In any case, vector spaces are abelian groups, and the correspondence theorem for groups applies (since being abelian is a "global property" (that is, *all* elements commute with each other), any subgroup of an abelian group will be abelian, and any homomorphic image of an abelian group will *also* be abelian).

So all we have to do is verify that an abelian subgroup of $V$ that is closed under scalar multiplication gets mapped via a linear transformation to an abelian subgroup of $W$ that is also closed under scalar multiplication. This is easy to show:

Suppose $T: V \to W$ is linear, and that $U$ is an abelian subgroup of $V$ closed under scalar multiplication.

We need to show if $w \in T(U)$ and $a \in F$, that $aw \in T(U)$.

Since $w \in T(U), w = T(u)$ for some $u \in U$. Thus:

$aw = aT(u) = T(au)$. Since $au \in U$, then $aw \in T(U)$.

Since group homomorphisms (which every linear transformation is, and more) take identity to identity, we need not worry about $T(U)$ being empty, it will always contain the zero vector of $W$.

This is virtually the same correspondence theorem as any other, only the categories (and their associated morphisms) have changed.

Related to Understand Theorem 2.15 - Bruce Cooperstein's Advanced Linear Algebra

1. What is Theorem 2.15 in Bruce Cooperstein's Advanced Linear Algebra?

Theorem 2.15 is a mathematical statement that provides a condition for a square matrix to be invertible, meaning it has a unique solution to the equation Ax = b. It states that if the determinant of a square matrix A is nonzero, then A is invertible.

2. Why is Theorem 2.15 important in linear algebra?

Theorem 2.15 is important because it gives us a necessary and sufficient condition for a square matrix to be invertible. This is useful in many applications of linear algebra, such as solving systems of equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and performing matrix operations.

3. How is Theorem 2.15 related to other theorems in linear algebra?

Theorem 2.15 is related to other theorems in linear algebra, such as the Invertible Matrix Theorem and Cramer's Rule. It is also connected to the concepts of linear independence, linear transformations, and rank of a matrix.

4. Can Theorem 2.15 be generalized to non-square matrices?

No, Theorem 2.15 only applies to square matrices. For non-square matrices, we use a different condition for invertibility, which involves the concept of rank.

5. How can Theorem 2.15 be applied in real-world scenarios?

Theorem 2.15 can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as solving systems of linear equations in engineering, economics, and physics. It is also useful in data analysis and machine learning, where matrix operations are used to process and analyze large datasets.