Understand Relativity & Lorentz Transformation - Aaron

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of relativity and Lorentz Transformation, specifically the equation for t' which suggests that time experienced in F' depends on an object O's position. However, this is not the case and the mistake lies in applying non-relativistic intuition. The t' coordinate label can be calculated for any object in frame F'.
doaaron
Hi all,I am trying to understand relativity and Lorentz Transformation more clearly but I have some problems. Assume that we have frame F' which is moving at velocity v with respect to F. Now assume we have an object, O, moving at velocity, w, with respect to F. Frame F has its own time, t, and the position of O is x = wt. Now, if I want to find the position of O in frame F', I need to apply the Lorentz Transformation to find x' and t'. The equation for t' is,

t' = γ(t - vx/c2)

My confusion is the term "x" in the above equation. This suggests that time experienced in F' depends on O, since x is the position of O. So if I were to introduce another object, P, moving at a velocity, u ≠ w with respect to F, then t' would be different for O and P. Intuitively, I would think that t' only depends on v. Please let me know where I have made my mistake.thanks,
Aaron

Physics news on Phys.org
doaaron said:
This suggests that time experienced in F' depends on O, since x is the position of O.
It doesn't depend on O, but on O's position.

Excluding the above sentence, your only mistake is leaning towards your intuition which you acquired by living in a non-relativistic world and studying non-relativistic physics.

Thanks for the reply. Actually I think I understand my mistake. x', t' simply describes a coordinate in frame F', so it is possible to calculate x', t' for each object, O, P etc.

thanks,
Aaron

doaaron said:
Thanks for the reply. Actually I think I understand my mistake. x', t' simply describes a coordinate in frame F', so it is possible to calculate x', t' for each object, O, P etc.

thanks,
Aaron

Yes, the t' is the coordinate label for an event O in the primed frame. Or a different event K, it will have a similarly different set of coordinate labels.

Hi Aaron,

Your confusion is understandable as relativity can be a complex and abstract concept to grasp. Let me try to explain the concept of time dilation in the context of the Lorentz Transformation.

First, it is important to understand that time is relative and can be experienced differently by observers in different reference frames. This is the fundamental principle of relativity. In your example, frame F' is moving at a velocity v with respect to frame F. This means that the observers in frame F' will experience time differently compared to observers in frame F.

Now, let's consider the equation t' = γ(t - vx/c2) in more detail. The term "x" in this equation represents the position of the object O in frame F. This is used to calculate the time experienced by an observer in frame F' when they observe the object O at a specific position. This equation takes into account the relative velocity of frame F' with respect to frame F, as well as the distance between the observer in frame F' and the object O.

If we introduce another object P moving at a different velocity u with respect to frame F, then the equation for t' would change because the relative positions of the observer in frame F' and the object P would be different. However, the factor of time dilation, represented by γ, would remain the same as it is determined by the relative velocity of the two frames, F and F'.

In summary, the equation for t' takes into account both the relative velocity between the two frames and the position of the observed object. It may seem counterintuitive, but this is a fundamental concept of relativity. I hope this helps clear up your confusion. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Related to Understand Relativity & Lorentz Transformation - Aaron

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory in physics that explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers who are moving at a constant velocity. It also states that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. Who is Aaron and what is his contribution to relativity?

Aaron is not a specific person, but most likely refers to Albert Einstein who is the scientist who developed the theory of relativity. His contributions to relativity include the theory of special relativity and the theory of general relativity.

3. What is the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical tool used in the theory of special relativity to relate measurements of space and time between different inertial frames of reference. It describes how space and time are perceived differently for observers who are moving at different velocities.

4. How does relativity affect our understanding of the universe?

Relativity has significantly changed our understanding of the universe by providing a better understanding of space, time, and gravity. It has also led to the development of technologies such as GPS and nuclear energy. Relativity has also helped scientists to explain many previously unexplained phenomena, such as the bending of light around massive objects.

5. Is relativity a proven theory?

Yes, the theory of relativity has been extensively tested and has been proven to be accurate in explaining many physical phenomena. Its predictions have been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, and it is widely accepted by the scientific community.