Understand Poynting Density of Flow of Energy w/Weak Physics Background

In summary, according to the MTW exercise, you can calculate the following local densities using the formulas given: ## \frac{E \times B}{4 \pi} ## and ## \frac{E^2 + B^2}{8 \pi} ##.
Mike Karr
TL;DR Summary
I have searched all over the web for Poynting density of flow of energy and density of energy . I can't find the formulas divided by ## \pi ##.
My physics background is weak. My search found lots of ## E \times B ## and ## E^2 + B^2##, often associated with ## \mu_0 ## and ## \epsilon_0 ##, but never divided by ## 4 \pi ## and ## 8 \pi ##, respectively. Could someone provide a reference? Or a derivation? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to the joys of electromagnetic units :oldeyes:
(it's a bit of a cluster, sorry to say)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes hutchphd
I suggest finding a tablelisting SI vs CGS and just getting confused for a while..

Likes Orodruin
Well, I have been inducted into the joys of electromagnetic units, and I have certainly been confused for a while. However, if I ignore all that and use only formulas in MTW, I can derive:

## \nabla \cdot \frac{E \times B}{4 \pi} = - \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\frac{E^2 + B^2}{8 \pi}) - E \cdot J ##

So I have my ##\frac{E \times B}{4 \pi}## and ##\frac{E^2 + B^2}{8 \pi}##. What to do next? Integrating over a volume ##V## and using the divergence theorem leads to:

## \int_{\partial V} \frac{E \times B}{4 \pi} \cdot N dS
= \int_V \nabla \cdot \frac{E \times B}{4 \pi} dV
= \int_V (- \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\frac{E^2 + B^2}{8 \pi}) - E \cdot J) dV ##

That's as far as I have figured out. I still don't know how to "calculate the Poynting density of the flow of energy and the density of energy". I am not even sure that that means.

Mike Karr said:
Well, I have been inducted into the joys of electromagnetic units, and I have certainly been confused for a while. However, if I ignore all that and use only formulas in MTW, I can derive:

## \nabla \cdot \frac{E \times B}{4 \pi} = - \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\frac{E^2 + B^2}{8 \pi}) - E \cdot J ##

So I have my ##\frac{E \times B}{4 \pi}## and ##\frac{E^2 + B^2}{8 \pi}##. What to do next? Integrating over a volume ##V## and using the divergence theorem leads to:

## \int_{\partial V} \frac{E \times B}{4 \pi} \cdot N dS
= \int_V \nabla \cdot \frac{E \times B}{4 \pi} dV
= \int_V (- \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\frac{E^2 + B^2}{8 \pi}) - E \cdot J) dV ##

That's as far as I have figured out. I still don't know how to "calculate the Poynting density of the flow of energy and the density of energy". I am not even sure that that means.
that that => what that

Mike Karr said:
So I have my ##\frac{E \times B}{4 \pi}## and ##\frac{E^2 + B^2}{8 \pi}##. What to do next?
Why do you need to do anything else? You've got the two quantities you wanted.

Mike Karr said:
Integrating over a volume ##V## and using the divergence theorem
Is irrelevant since you're not looking for global quantities, you're looking for local densities. That is all the MTW exercise you refer to in the title of this thread is talking about.

Likes Mike Karr
Mike Karr said:
I still don't know how to "calculate the Poynting density of the flow of energy and the density of energy"
You already did. The wording of the MTW exercise is a little misleading: it's not actually asking you to calculate these quantities in terms of something else besides ##E## and ##B##, it's just telling you that if you know ##E## and ##B##, you can calculate these quantities, using the formulas given. (Weird quirks of wording like this are unfortunately fairly common in MTW; I suspect they are due to Wheeler since similar quirks appear in other writings of his.)

Then it's asking you to transform those quantities into a different frame using the Lorentz transformation; that's what you actually need to calculate.

PeterDonis said:
Why do you need to do anything else? You've got the two quantities you wanted.Is irrelevant since you're not looking for global quantities, you're looking for local densities. That is all the MTW exercise you refer to in the title of this thread is talking about.

PeterDonis, thank you! It's nice when the problem is easier than it seems. And especially for the general tip about "weird quirks." I'll be on the lookout.

1. What is Poynting Density of Flow of Energy?

Poynting Density of Flow of Energy is a physical quantity that describes the rate at which energy flows through a given area. It is represented by the symbol S and is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²).

2. How is Poynting Density of Flow of Energy related to electromagnetic waves?

Poynting Density of Flow of Energy is a concept from electromagnetism that describes the energy carried by electromagnetic waves. It represents the amount of energy that is transported per unit time through a unit area perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.

3. What is the significance of Poynting Density of Flow of Energy in weak physics background?

Poynting Density of Flow of Energy is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It helps to explain how energy is transferred and the direction of energy flow in these waves. A basic understanding of this concept is essential for understanding more complex concepts in electromagnetism.

4. How is Poynting Density of Flow of Energy calculated?

Poynting Density of Flow of Energy is calculated by multiplying the electric field strength (E) by the magnetic field strength (B) and then taking the cross product of these two vectors. The resulting vector gives the direction and magnitude of the energy flow.

5. Can Poynting Density of Flow of Energy be measured in real-life situations?

Yes, Poynting Density of Flow of Energy can be measured using specialized instruments such as a Poynting vector meter. These instruments measure the electric and magnetic fields in a given area and calculate the energy flow based on the Poynting vector formula.