Understand Infrared Absorption & Vibrational Frequencies

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around infrared spectroscopy and the statement from Wikipedia that absorption occurs when the frequency of the IR is the same as the vibrational frequency of a bond. However, it is clarified that the observed frequency on the spectrum is different from the vibrational frequency and that the statement from Wikipedia is correct in a classical description of a quantum phenomenon. The concept of assigning a frequency to a single vibrational state is also discussed, with the clarification that classical observed frequencies always correspond to transitions and not single states. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to read Landau Lifshetz's "Quantum mechanics" for a better understanding of the quantum-classical correspondence.
newlabguy
I'm confused about infrared spectroscopy. Wikipedia states that "when the frequency of the IR is the same as the vibrational frequency of a bond, absorption occurs." However, if I look at some vibrational transitions of HCl for the anharmonic oscillator, I see:

0-->1 [tex]\omega[/tex] = 2885.7
0-->2 [tex]\omega[/tex] = 5771.8

The observed frequency that you would see on the spectrum is clearly different than the vibrational frequency of the bond. My line of thinking is that in vibration state 0, the bond oscillates with a frequency and that in vibration state 1 it oscillates in a higher frequency. So the frequency absorbed corresponds to the frequency that is appropriate to excite from one energy level to the other, instead of a frequency that matches the vibrational frequency of the lower vibrational state such as 0. Can someone tell me in simple terms where my thinking is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, that's an incorrect statement. The vibrational frequency of the atoms is of course entirely different from the frequency of the radiation involved. Also, it's not the frequency of the 'bond' (in any sense) that has to be matched, but the frequency that corresponds to the energy of the transition.

In contrast to alxm, I think the statement from wikipedia is as correct as a classical description of a quantum phenomenon can be. Especially, Fourier transformation of the vibrational motion of a anharmonic oscillator with the same reduced mass and force constants and anharmonicity would give you approximately the frequencies you cited.
It does not make sense to assign a vibrational frequency to a single state (like state 0) in qm, as you do. The classically observed frequencies always correspond to transitions. This is related to the fact that a state that will behave as classical as possible will not be an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian but a coherent superposition of these, e.g. of the 0, 1 and 2 state.

Thank you very much for your replies. I'm still confused about the matter and I think it might be due to my error in interpretation of vibrational states. The set of eigenvalues associated with a one-dimensional harmonic oscillator for a diatomic molecule is

Ev=hf(v+(1/2)) v=1,2,3,...

So the way that I read the equation is that for each vibrational number there is an energy associated with it and also a frequency associated with that energy. So, when I look at a classical harmonic oscillator curve and see a horizontal vibrational line drawn on it that corresponds to v=0,1,2..., I assume that there is a frequency of molecular vibration that is associated with that energy level. DrDu, I think that my problem is that I'm still having trouble understanding why it is wrong to assign a frequency to a vibrational state. Can you explain more about what you mean by a "coherent superposition." Thanks again

Let me ask another question: How would you measure or define the frequency of an eigenstate?
A nice exposition about the quantum-classical correspondence can be found in the first chapters of Landau Lifshetz "Quantum mechanics".

Related to Understand Infrared Absorption & Vibrational Frequencies

1. What is infrared absorption and why is it important in scientific research?

Infrared absorption is the process by which a molecule absorbs infrared light and undergoes a change in its vibrational energy. This is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to study the molecular structure and chemical bonds of a substance, providing valuable information about its properties and behavior.

2. How does infrared absorption relate to vibrational frequencies?

Infrared absorption is directly related to vibrational frequencies because the absorption of infrared light causes the molecules to vibrate at specific frequencies, which are unique to each type of molecule. By studying these vibrational frequencies, scientists can identify and characterize different substances.

3. What factors affect the infrared absorption spectrum of a substance?

The infrared absorption spectrum of a substance is affected by several factors, including the molecular structure, the types of chemical bonds present, and the physical state (solid, liquid, or gas) of the substance. The concentration and temperature of the sample can also have an impact on the absorption spectrum.

4. How is infrared absorption spectroscopy used in various industries?

Infrared absorption spectroscopy is used in a wide range of industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, environmental monitoring, and materials science. It is used for quality control, identifying unknown substances, and monitoring chemical reactions and processes.

5. What are the limitations of infrared absorption spectroscopy?

One limitation of infrared absorption spectroscopy is that it can only detect molecules that have a dipole moment, which means they have a separation of positive and negative charges. This excludes some important substances, such as noble gases. Additionally, overlapping absorption bands and sample impurities can affect the accuracy and interpretation of results.