Undergraduate Physics: Study Modern Physics & Get Concepts Clear

In summary, my college started physics course with light and blackbody radiation. I am facing difficulties in understanding relativistic energies, Compton effect and specific heats of multi atomic gases. Can you suggest a method for studying modern physics and suggest some good books for getting my concepts clear?
Titan97
Gold Member
My college started physics course with light and blackbody radiation. I am facing difficulties in understanding relativistic energies, Compton effect and specific heats of multi atomic gases. Can you suggest a method for studying modern physics and suggest some good books for getting my concepts clear?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does this mean:
My college started physics course with light and blackbody radiation.
?

they did. at first the prof taught random things from atomic structure. then he discussed light (photoelectric effect, compton effect). Then came blackbody radiation (Rayliegh-jeans law, stefans law, etc) and now we will start quantum mechanics soon. This is my college: http://www.iitb.ac.in/ (IIT Bombay, the best college in my country). Please help me.

Can you suggest a good book that deals with the above topics?

Titan97 said:
they did. at first the prof taught random things from atomic structure. then he discussed light (photoelectric effect, compton effect). Then came blackbody radiation (Rayliegh-jeans law, stefans law, etc) and now we will start quantum mechanics soon. This is my college: http://www.iitb.ac.in/ (IIT Bombay, the best college in my country). Please help me.

Can you suggest a good book that deals with the above topics?
Physics instruction begins with Kinematics and Mechanics. After that is learned enough, the topics taught are Electricity & Magnetism. You do not want to try skipping the more basic topics.

This page was also on that site: https://portal.iitb.ac.in/asc/Courses
You should find the courses you need in that listing.

I have already learned those in high school. And the courses given are not for first years. These are the lectures I was given. (these lectures are common for every branch in first year)

Attachments

• lecture0108 (1).pdf
    497.4 KB · Views: 254
  • lecture0408.pdf
    285.4 KB · Views: 258

Related to Undergraduate Physics: Study Modern Physics & Get Concepts Clear

1. What is modern physics and why is it important to study?

Modern physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of phenomena at the atomic and subatomic level. It includes theories and concepts that were developed in the 20th century to understand the behavior of particles and energy at these small scales. It is important to study modern physics because it forms the basis for many technological advancements and has significantly changed our understanding of the universe.

2. What are some key concepts that are covered in undergraduate physics courses?

Undergraduate physics courses cover a wide range of topics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. These concepts are essential for understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy.

3. How can studying modern physics benefit students in their future careers?

Studying modern physics can benefit students in many ways. It can help develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong foundation in mathematics. These skills are highly valued in many industries, including technology, engineering, and research. Additionally, understanding modern physics can also lead to career opportunities in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and nanotechnology.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying modern physics at the undergraduate level?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics and basic physics principles is essential for studying modern physics at the undergraduate level. Students should have completed introductory courses in calculus, algebra, and classical mechanics before enrolling in modern physics courses.

5. What are some resources available for students looking to study modern physics?

There are many resources available for students interested in studying modern physics. These include textbooks, online courses, lecture videos, and study guides. It is also helpful to seek out guidance from professors, peers, and tutors to supplement your learning and gain a deeper understanding of the material.