Undergraduate mathematical logic questions

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with understanding certain concepts in Y. Manin's book on mathematical logic. The first issue pertains to proving a proposition involving a subset of the Von neumann universe and its union. The second issue concerns the axioms of Boolean algebras and proving that the value of simple tautologies must be 1. The conversation also mentions difficulties with using Latex and different sets of axioms.
ibc
Hello
I'm reading Y. Manin's http://books.google.co.il/books?id=...resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false" and I've been having some difficulties. So I'm asking for help.

1. On page 64 of the book, (prooving Mostowski proposition). We have a subset N of the Von neumann universe, and [tex]N_\alpha \subset N[/tex] for all cardinals [tex]\alpha [/tex]. Now we want to prove that [tex] \cup N_\alpha= N [/tex], his first step is, assume otherwise and assume there is [tex]X\in N\setminus \cup(N_\alpha) [/tex] such that [tex]X \cap (N\setminus \cup N_\alpha) = \emptyset [/tex] then [tex]X\subset \cup N_\alpha [/tex] thus there is some [tex]\alpha_0 [/tex] s.t [tex]X\subset N_\alpha_0 [/tex]
Now, that last part I don't understand. why the fact that a set is a subset of a union of sets, it must be a subset of one of them? (which is clearly not true as a general argument, but why is it true here?)

2. On page 52, he presents Boolean algebras with axioms
[tex](A^')^' = A [/tex]
[tex] \vee \wedge [/tex] are associative commutative and distributive
[tex](a \vee b )^' = a \wedge b [/tex] [tex](a \wedge b)^' = a \vee b [/tex]
[tex] a \wedge a = a \vee a = a [/tex]
[tex] 1 \wedge a = a [/tex] [tex]0 \wedge a = a [/tex]

later he claims that for any map from a set of formulas to the boolean algebra, the value on the simple tautologies must be 1
but I don't see why it is so. isn't there something missing? for example, I can't see how to prove that [tex]a^' \vee a = 1 [/tex].

Thanks

[Sorry for all these Latex oddities, does anyone know how to exit the "uppercase" mode?]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ibc said:
Now, that last part I don't understand. why the fact that a set is a subset of a union of sets, it must be a subset of one of them? (which is clearly not true as a general argument, but why is it true here?)
It's because you're considering the union of a chain of sets (that is; for any two of the sets, one is contained in the other).

ibc said:
2. On page 52, he presents Boolean algebras with axioms
[tex](a')' = a [/tex]
[tex] \vee \wedge [/tex] are associative and commutative, and distributive over each other
[tex](a \vee b )' = a' \wedge b' [/tex]; [tex](a \wedge b)' = a' \vee b' [/tex]
[tex] a \wedge a = a \vee a = a [/tex]
[tex] 1 \wedge a = a [/tex]; [tex]0 \vee a = a [/tex]

later he claims that for any map from a set of formulas to the boolean algebra, the value on the simple tautologies must be 1
but I don't see why it is so. isn't there something missing? for example, I can't see how to prove that [tex]a' \vee a = 1 [/tex].

Thanks

[Sorry for all these Latex oddities, does anyone know how to exit the "uppercase" mode?]

Just use ' instead of ^'. Also your axioms were incorrect; I've fixed it above. To prove a' ∨ a = 1, you must show that it suffices to show that (a' ∨ a) ∧ b = b for all b. I'd have to think about it more to prove it from those axioms, since I'm used to a different set of axioms.

adriank said:
It's because you're considering the union of a chain of sets (that is; for any two of the sets, one is contained in the other).

Just use ' instead of ^'. Also your axioms were incorrect; I've fixed it above. To prove a' ∨ a = 1, you must show that it suffices to show that (a' ∨ a) ∧ b = b for all b. I'd have to think about it more to prove it from those axioms, since I'm used to a different set of axioms.

I don't understand. Take N= natural numbers
[tex]N\subset \cup N_n[/tex]
where [tex] N_n [/tex] is all the natural numbers up to n. it is a chain, and obviously N is not contained in any finite union. (and obviously there are similar less "dramatic" examples (where the subset is not all the union))

yes, obviously it should be as you wrote it. and yes, we probably should assume that it's sufficient to prove that (although the book doesn't mention any iff condition about this property of "1", but without it it seems even less likely that such axioms are enough to conclude the wishful conclusion)
I failed to prove that (a' ∨ a) ∧ b = b for all b using these axioms. I just don't see how it's possible, it seems like the only property of "1" the axioms give us is the one we are trying to prove, so we've got nothing to work with.

Related to Undergraduate mathematical logic questions

1. What is mathematical logic?

Mathematical logic is a branch of mathematics that deals with formal systems, particularly those that use symbols and rules to represent and manipulate mathematical concepts and statements. It is concerned with the study of the principles of valid reasoning and proof.

2. What is the purpose of studying mathematical logic?

The purpose of studying mathematical logic is to develop the ability to think logically and systematically, to construct rigorous arguments and proofs, and to understand the fundamental principles of mathematics. It also has applications in computer science, philosophy, linguistics, and other fields.

3. What topics are covered in undergraduate mathematical logic courses?

Topics covered in undergraduate mathematical logic courses may include propositional logic, predicate logic, set theory, proof techniques, mathematical induction, and basic model theory. Some courses may also cover topics such as computability and incompleteness.

4. Is mathematical background necessary for studying mathematical logic?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not always necessary for studying mathematical logic. Basic knowledge of algebra, geometry, and set theory is usually sufficient for understanding the concepts and principles of mathematical logic.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in mathematical logic?

A background in mathematical logic can lead to various career opportunities, such as a mathematical logician, computer scientist, software engineer, or researcher in fields such as artificial intelligence, formal methods, and mathematics education. It can also be beneficial for careers in law, linguistics, and philosophy.