Undergraduate CV: Tips on What to Include & What Not To

In summary, the conversation is about composing a CV for research positions and the speaker is seeking suggestions on what to include. They are advised to include hobbies that showcase important skills, such as teamwork and organizational abilities. The speaker is also encouraged to highlight extracurricular activities in detail, such as studying programming and building a computer game or a carbon fibre bicycle. Additionally, it is suggested that they show their goal-oriented and proactive nature by reaching out to the person responsible for the position and asking relevant questions.
kraigandrews
I am currently composing a CV for research positions and I have only a minimal amount research experience and I am trying to beef up my CV, and I was looking for suggestions as to what to include and what not to include.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If your CV is really quite empty, you should also put in hobbies that either show that you are a team player, that show that you can be focused and dedicated, that show organizational skills, or anything else of importance.

Describe your (interesting) extracurricular activities in enough detail to be appealing. If you have 'reading, gaming, cycling' on your CV it sounds less impressive than 'studying C++ programming and gaming theory in my spare time and programming my own computer game; building my own carbon fibre bicycle'.
Note that if for example you build a bike with two other friends, mentioning this will show you have team work experience and that you are cooperative.

If you are applying for a specific position, nothing shows 'I am goal-oriented and pro-active' more than calling the person responsible and ask sensible questions about the position.

Related to Undergraduate CV: Tips on What to Include & What Not To

What is an undergraduate CV?

An undergraduate CV is a document that summarizes your academic and professional experiences, skills, and achievements. It is used to apply for internships, research positions, or graduate school.

What should be included in an undergraduate CV?

An undergraduate CV should include your personal information, education, relevant coursework, research experience, work experience, extracurricular activities, skills, and awards or honors. It should also have a clear and concise format with proper formatting and grammar.

What should not be included in an undergraduate CV?

An undergraduate CV should not include irrelevant information, such as your personal hobbies or interests, unless they are related to the position you are applying for. It should also not include any false or misleading information.

What are some tips for creating an effective undergraduate CV?

Some tips for creating an effective undergraduate CV include tailoring it to the specific position you are applying for, using action verbs to describe your experiences, and highlighting your most relevant and impressive accomplishments. It is also important to proofread for any errors or typos and to keep it concise and well-organized.

Do I need to include references on my undergraduate CV?

No, references should not be included on an undergraduate CV. Instead, you can provide a separate reference sheet if requested by the employer. It is also important to ask for permission from your references before listing them on your CV.