Underdamped harmonic oscillator with a sinusoidal driving force

in summary, to solve for the maximum displacement or velocity, you need to use differential calculus and find the potential energy and then solve for x(t).
captainemeric

Homework Statement

Consider an underdamped harmonic oscillator (Q > 1/2) with a sinusoidal driving
force Focos(ωdt).
(a) (5 pts) By using differential calculus find ωd that maximizes the displacement amplitude.
(b) (7 pts) By using differential calculus find ωd that maximizes the velocity amplitude.

Homework Equations

x(t)= (fo/m)/sqrt([wo^2-wd^2]^2+(gama(wd)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what the end solution will be and the general theory behind this but I am unsure how to proceed. I am unsure how to prove the point at which it is the maximum.

Physics news on Phys.org
The clue is pretty much in "differential calculus". What tool have you learned in calculus for finding the maximum of a function?

captainemeric said:

Homework Statement

Consider an underdamped harmonic oscillator (Q > 1/2) with a sinusoidal driving
force Focos(ωdt).
(a) (5 pts) By using differential calculus find ωd that maximizes the displacement amplitude.
(b) (7 pts) By using differential calculus find ωd that maximizes the velocity amplitude.

Homework Equations

x(t)= (fo/m)/sqrt([wo^2-wd^2]^2+(gama(wd)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what the end solution will be and the general theory behind this but I am unsure how to proceed. I am unsure how to prove the point at which it is the maximum.

Let me give you a hint on the general theory behind this:

your relevant equation seems flat bizarre

first of all, why is there no 't' in x(t)

and what is gama?
---------

to set you in the direction i would go:

you have your driving force F

F=-d/dx(V(x)

then V(x) = potential energy

maximum value of V(x)= total energy = 1/2*mass*velocity^2+V(x)

then solve for velocity, and integrate with respect to time to get x(t).
---------
or just say (1/m)*F= acceleration and integrate twice with respect to time to get x(t)

-----

Related to Underdamped harmonic oscillator with a sinusoidal driving force

1. What is an underdamped harmonic oscillator?

An underdamped harmonic oscillator is a system in which the restoring force is proportional to the displacement of the object, but there is also a damping force that opposes the motion. This results in the object oscillating back and forth with decreasing amplitude over time.

2. What is a sinusoidal driving force?

A sinusoidal driving force is a periodic force that varies sinusoidally with time. It can be represented by a sine or cosine function and is often used to model external forces acting on a system.

3. How does a sinusoidal driving force affect an underdamped harmonic oscillator?

The presence of a sinusoidal driving force can cause an underdamped harmonic oscillator to oscillate at the same frequency as the driving force, but with a different amplitude and phase. This is known as forced oscillation and can result in resonance if the driving frequency is close to the natural frequency of the oscillator.

4. What is the equation of motion for an underdamped harmonic oscillator with a sinusoidal driving force?

The equation of motion for this system is given by:
m(d^2x/dt^2) + b(dx/dt) + kx = F_0sin(ωt + φ)
where m is the mass of the object, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, F_0 is the amplitude of the driving force, ω is the frequency of the driving force, and φ is the phase angle.

5. How does the amplitude of the driving force affect the motion of the underdamped harmonic oscillator?

The amplitude of the driving force determines the amplitude of the oscillations of the oscillator. As the amplitude of the driving force increases, the amplitude of the oscillator's motion also increases. However, if the driving force is too large, it can cause the oscillator to reach its maximum amplitude and become unstable.