Undamped vibrations (only spring present)

In summary: So in summary, the problem involves an exhaust fan with a mass of 90 kg, operating at 1100 rpm and supported by an undamped vibration isolator with a stiffness of 220 kN. The harmonic force produced by the fan has a magnitude of 12 kN. To determine the transmitted force through the isolator to the foundations (TR), the transmission ratio (Tr) can be calculated using the frequency ratio (r) and Tr=Ft/Fo. The magnitude of the harmonic force is equal to the applied force (Fo). The static deflection of the exhaust fan (δst) can also be found using this information.
kaminho

Homework Statement

An exhaust fan mass 90 kg operates at 1100 rpm and is supported by an UNDAMPED vibration isolator i.e a spring that has a stiffness of 220 kN. If the harmonic force produced by the fan has a magnitude of 12 kN determine:
a) The transmitted force through the isolator to the foundations(TR)
b) The static deflection of the exhaust fan (δst)

Homework Equations

how do we work out the trasmitted force?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm able to find trasmission ratio (Tr) as it becomes Tr=1/(1-r^2) with r being the frequency ratio. that is Tr= 0.2258 ( i first found out the frequency of excitation and natural frequency and devided the first by the second to find r and from there i found Tr). however i know Tr=Ft/Fo (Ft transmitted force and Fo applied) but i don't know how to get Ft as the value of Fo is still unknown and i don't think its 12000 mentioned in the question (because that's magnitude of harmonic force). or maybe it is i don't know. can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
kaminho said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm able to find trasmission ratio (Tr) as it becomes Tr=1/(1-r^2) with r being the frequency ratio. that is Tr= 0.2258 ( i first found out the frequency of excitation and natural frequency and devided the first by the second to find r and from there i found Tr). however i know Tr=Ft/Fo (Ft transmitted force and Fo applied) but i don't know how to get Ft as the value of Fo is still unknown and i don't think its 12000 mentioned in the question (because that's magnitude of harmonic force). or maybe it is i don't know. can anyone help?

Yes, F0 is the magnitude of the harmonic force, F0=12kN.

rock.freak667 said:
Yes, F0 is the magnitude of the harmonic force, F0=12kN.

so after i found r (frequency ratio) and subsequently Tr which is 0.2258 then the rest is pretty straight forward ?
am i right in saying the magnitude of the harmonic force is always the applied force (Fo) and also the amplitude ?
and thanks loads for the help too.

kaminho said:
so after i found r (frequency ratio) and subsequently Tr which is 0.2258 then the rest is pretty straight forward ?
am i right in saying the magnitude of the harmonic force is always the applied force (Fo) and also the amplitude ?
and thanks loads for the help too.

I think that would be correct.

Based on the given information, we can determine the transmitted force through the isolator to the foundations by using the following equation:

Ft = F0 * Tr

Where:
Ft = Transmitted force
F0 = Applied force (in this case, the harmonic force produced by the fan with a magnitude of 12 kN)
Tr = Transmission ratio (which you have correctly calculated as 0.2258)

Therefore, the transmitted force can be calculated as:
Ft = 12 kN * 0.2258 = 2.71 kN

To find the static deflection of the exhaust fan, we can use the formula:
δst = Ft / k

Where:
δst = Static deflection
Ft = Transmitted force (calculated above)
k = Stiffness of the spring (given as 220 kN)

Substituting the values, we get:
δst = 2.71 kN / 220 kN = 0.0123 meters

Therefore, the static deflection of the exhaust fan is 0.0123 meters.

Related to Undamped vibrations (only spring present)

1. What is an undamped vibration?

An undamped vibration is a type of oscillation where the amplitude of the vibration does not decrease over time. This means that there is no external force or resistance acting on the system to dampen the oscillation.

2. What is the role of a spring in undamped vibrations?

A spring is the only component present in undamped vibrations, and it is responsible for storing and releasing potential energy as the system oscillates. The stiffness of the spring determines the frequency and amplitude of the vibration.

3. How is the frequency of an undamped vibration determined?

The frequency of an undamped vibration is determined by the stiffness of the spring and the mass attached to it. This can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√(k/m)), where f is frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass.

4. Can undamped vibrations occur in real-world systems?

Yes, undamped vibrations can occur in certain real-world systems, such as a mass attached to a spring in a vacuum. However, most real-world systems are subject to external forces and resistance, causing the vibration to eventually dampen.

5. What are the applications of undamped vibrations?

Undamped vibrations have various practical applications, such as in mechanical engineering for designing structures and machines with optimal stiffness and resonance frequencies. They are also used in musical instruments, such as guitars and pianos, to produce sustained vibrations and sound.