Uncovering the Mystery of "-2" in Momentum X

In summary, the formula for calculating change in momentum in the x-direction is -2MVcos(), where the negative sign comes from the fact that the final momentum is in the opposite direction of the initial momentum in this bouncing scenario. This was explained by the professor when deriving the formula to solve the given question.
tanmandu
Trying to Understand Where this Constant Came From in the "X component of Momentum"

After asking for help on this problem, my professor showed me how to derive the forumla needed to solve the following question. However, it sliped my mine to ask where the "-2" came from.

Homework Statement

A 7kg steel ball strikes a wall with a speed of 8.74m/s at a angle of 37.3 degrees with the normal of the wall. It bounces off with the same speed and angle. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.301 seconds, what is the average force exerted on the ball by the wall?

Homework Equations

Change in Momentum in the X=-2MVcos()

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the formula, and knowing the is no change in the momentum in the Y direction I found the answer to be 323.369 N.

Like I said, what I am unclear about is where the -2 came from in the formula. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Change in momentum = Momentum after impact - Momentum before impact

Remember that momentum is a vector quantity, they took the x+ direction as positive.

Since the ball bounces back, it moves opposite to the initial direction (+), so the final momentum is negative

change in momentum = -a -a = -2a, it becomes like that.

Thank you so much. It is clear to me now.

Related to Uncovering the Mystery of "-2" in Momentum X

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to keep moving in a straight line at a constant speed. It is dependent on an object's mass and velocity, and is described by the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. This can be represented by the equation p = mv. In order to calculate momentum, you must know both the mass and velocity of the object in question.

3. What is the significance of "-2" in momentum?

The "-2" in momentum refers to the direction of the object's motion. In physics, direction is represented by positive and negative values. In the case of "-2" in momentum, it indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction.

4. How does "-2" affect momentum?

The negative value of "-2" in momentum indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction. This means that the overall momentum of the object is in the negative direction, and it will continue to move in that direction unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How does "-2" play a role in solving the mystery of momentum in physics?

The value of "-2" in momentum is an important factor in understanding an object's motion and how it will continue to move unless acted upon by an external force. By understanding the direction and magnitude of an object's momentum, we can predict its future motion and solve the mystery of how objects move in the physical world.