Uncovering the Hidden Identity in Solving Quadratic Equation Challenge

In summary, Pranav and kaliprasad solved the quadratic equation $x^2+(2 – \tan \theta)x – (1 + \tan \theta) = 0$ with two integral roots by using the identity $x+y+xy+1=(y+1)(x+1)$. The sum of all possible values of $\theta$ in the interval $(0, 2\pi)$ is $k\pi$, and the value of $k$ is found to be equal to 2.
Saitama
If the quadratic equation $x^2+(2 – \tan \theta)x – (1 + \tan \theta) = 0$ has two integral roots, then sum of all possible values of $\theta$ in the interval $(0, 2\pi)$ is $k\pi$. Find $k$.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
My solution:

If we rewrite the given equation to make $\tan \theta$ the subject, and then plot a graph of $\tan \theta$ versus $x$, we get:

$\tan \theta=\dfrac{x^2+2x-1}{x+1}$
View attachment 2393
Note:
$x=-1$ is a vertical asymptote

Consider the fact that $x$ are two integrals regardless of what $\tan \theta$ is(i.e. try to imagine we are to move a ruler horizontally on the graph and we have to hit two $x$ of which both are integers), we can deduce that

i. This is impossible for the region where $x<-3$,

ii. This is only possible only when one of the $x$ is in the interval $-3<x<0$.

Therefore

a. when $x=-2$ and this gives $\tan \theta=\dfrac{(-2)^2+2(-2)-1}{(-2)+1}=1$

b. since $x\ne-1$ so we're done.

Hence, the sum of all possible values of $\theta$ in the interval $(0, 2\pi)$ is $\dfrac{\pi}{4}+\dfrac{5\pi}{4}=\dfrac{3\pi}{2}$ and that shows $k=\dfrac{3}{2}$.

Attachments

• Pranav's challenge.JPG
    Pranav's challenge.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 79
anemone said:
My solution:

If we rewrite the given equation to make $\tan \theta$ the subject, and then plot a graph of $\tan \theta$ versus $x$, we get:

$\tan \theta=\dfrac{x^2+2x-1}{x+1}$
View attachment 2393
Note:
$x=-1$ is a vertical asymptote

Consider the fact that $x$ are two integrals regardless of what $\tan \theta$ is(i.e. try to imagine we are to move a ruler horizontally on the graph and we have to hit two $x$ of which both are integers), we can deduce that

i. This is impossible for the region where $x<-3$,

ii. This is only possible only when one of the $x$ is in the interval $-3<x<0$.

Therefore

a. when $x=-2$ and this gives $\tan \theta=\dfrac{(-2)^2+2(-2)-1}{(-2)+1}=1$

b. since $x\ne-1$ so we're done.

Hence, the sum of all possible values of $\theta$ in the interval $(0, 2\pi)$ is $\dfrac{\pi}{4}+\dfrac{5\pi}{4}=\dfrac{3\pi}{2}$ and that shows $k=\dfrac{3}{2}$.

Thank you for your participation anemone but the answer is incorrect. :(

Hint: You have got two correct values for $\theta$, there are still two more. :)

Pranav said:
Thank you for your participation anemone but the answer is incorrect. :(

It's okay, Pranav, don't be sorry...:eek: and I apologize for posting the wrong solution with the incorrect answer for this challenge...

Pranav said:
Hint: You have got two correct values for $\theta$, there are still two more. :)

Thanks, I will look more into the problem right NOW, hopefully I can see it...but if I don't, please forgive me!:eek:

Ah, I see it now:)...

Notice that we need to consider the case when $x=0$ as well and when $x=0$, $\tan \theta=-1$ and that gives the other two values of $\theta=\dfrac{3\pi}{4},\,\dfrac{7\pi}{4}$ in the interval $(0,\,2\pi)$.

Hence, the sum of all possible $\theta$ would be $\dfrac{\pi}{4}+\dfrac{3\pi}{4}+\dfrac{5\pi}{4}+\dfrac{7\pi}{4}=4\pi$, i.e. $k=4$.

anemone said:
Ah, I see it now:)...

Notice that we need to consider the case when $x=0$ as well and when $x=0$, $\tan \theta=-1$ and that gives the other two values of $\theta=\dfrac{3\pi}{4},\,\dfrac{7\pi}{4}$ in the interval $(0,\,2\pi)$.

Hence, the sum of all possible $\theta$ would be $\dfrac{\pi}{4}+\dfrac{3\pi}{4}+\dfrac{5\pi}{4}+\dfrac{7\pi}{4}=4\pi$, i.e. $k=4$.

Excellent! :cool:

I wait for others if they want to try the problem before sharing the suggested solution. :)

My ans along the line of anemone but algebraically

$\tan \theta = \frac{x^2 + 2x - 1}{x + 1}$
= $(x+1) - \frac{2}{x+1}$
= $y - \frac{2}{y}$ taking x+ 1 = y

for it to be integer we should have y a factor of 2 that is 1 or -1 or 2 or -2

giving $\tan \theta$ = -1 or 1 or 1 or -1

or $\theta = \frac{3\pi}{4}$ or $\frac{\pi}{4}$ or $\frac{5\pi}{4}$ or or $\frac{7\pi}{4}$

adding these we get k = 4

Pranav said:
Excellent! :cool:

I wait for others if they want to try the problem before sharing the suggested solution. :)

Hi Pranav,

If you don't mind me asking, I hope to see the suggested solution or your solution for this problem. As one of regular challenge problems' solvers, I think you would agree with me that it is a "torture" for us not get the chance to see how others approached a challenge problem beautifully, hehehe...:p

anemone said:
Hi Pranav,

If you don't mind me asking, I hope to see the suggested solution or your solution for this problem. As one of regular challenge problems' solvers, I think you would agree with me that it is a "torture" for us not get the chance to see how others approached a challenge problem beautifully, hehehe...:p

It isn't very different from what kaliprasad did.

Let $\alpha$ and $\beta$ be two roots.
Then
$$\alpha+\beta=2-\tan\theta$$
$$\alpha \beta=1+\tan\theta$$
$$\Rightarrow \alpha+\beta+\alpha \beta=3 \Rightarrow (\alpha+1)(\beta+1)=4$$
Now it is easy to find the values of $\alpha$ and $\beta$.

Pranav said:
It isn't very different from what kaliprasad did.

Let $\alpha$ and $\beta$ be two roots.
Then
$$\alpha+\beta=2-\tan\theta$$
$$\alpha \beta=1+\tan\theta$$
$$\Rightarrow \alpha+\beta+\alpha \beta=3 \Rightarrow (\alpha+1)(\beta+1)=4$$
Now it is easy to find the values of $\alpha$ and $\beta$.

Thanks for your reply!

Ah, I see it now, it is how the identity $x+y+xy+1=(y+1)(x+1)$ that come into play helped! Thanks again, Pranav!

Related to Uncovering the Hidden Identity in Solving Quadratic Equation Challenge

1. What is a quadratic equation challenge?

A quadratic equation challenge is a problem that involves solving a mathematical equation in the form of ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. The goal of the challenge is to find the values of x that satisfy the equation.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation challenge?

To solve a quadratic equation challenge, you can use various methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable x and find its value(s).

3. Why are quadratic equations important?

Quadratic equations are important because they are used to solve many real-life problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, predicting the trajectory of a projectile, or determining the roots of a polynomial. They are also essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What are the common mistakes when solving a quadratic equation challenge?

Some common mistakes when solving a quadratic equation challenge include forgetting to apply the correct order of operations, making errors when factoring, miswriting the signs (+/-) of the terms, or forgetting to include all solutions (including complex solutions).

5. How can I improve my skills in solving quadratic equation challenges?

The best way to improve your skills in solving quadratic equation challenges is through practice. Make sure to review the different methods, their steps, and when to use them. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources to access additional practice problems and explanations.