Uncover the Mystery: Why You See a Real Image in a Concave Mirror

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of real and virtual images in concave mirrors. The participants discuss the location and characteristics of real images produced by a concave mirror, and inquire about the reason for being able to see these images in the mirror. They also mention the importance of understanding the law of reflection and the position of the object in relation to the mirror's focal point. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to draw ray diagrams to better understand the concept of images in concave mirrors.
doodlamani
Hi

Why is that you can see a REAL image in a concave mirror when you are looking into the mirror?[/FONT]

i tried searching the answer on the net but could not find the answer.
please help

thanx in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
i read that but was not clear so asked u all.
any other answers please.

It's difficult to answer your question without knowing what you already understand about reflection. Do you know what a "real" image means? Do you understand the law of reflection? Try this: http://www.bismarckstate.edu/hyperphysics/hbase/geoopt/mirray.html#c3"

Last edited by a moderator:
Help

Doc Al said:
It's difficult to answer your question without knowing what you already understand about reflection. Do you know what a "real" image means? Do you understand the law of reflection? Try this: http://www.bismarckstate.edu/hyperphysics/hbase/geoopt/mirray.html#c3"

yes i do no the basix. the image should be inverted , real (can be obtained on a screen) and is in front of the mirror. but this not the case practically. it is inside the miiro, inverted and appears virtual. please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
doodlamani said:
but this not the case practically. it is inside the miiro, inverted and appears virtual.
Whether a concave mirror provides a real image or a virtual image depends on how far the object is from the mirror. To see a real image the object must be further away than the focal length. Please study the link I provided for more details.

i think i could not pose my question correctly. let me try again. i know that a virtual image is seen enlarged and erect when the object is between focus and pole of hte concave mirror. in case hte object is beyond f then the image should be in front of mirror(real and inverted).. my question si how are we able to see the image of the object (which is supposed to be in front of hte mirror) in the mirror( u see it inverted and diminished).acn anyone please now tell me how are we seeeing the supposed to be real image in the mirror

doodlamani said:
in case hte object is beyond f then the image should be in front of mirror(real and inverted).. my question si how are we able to see the image of the object (which is supposed to be in front of hte mirror) in the mirror( u see it inverted and diminished).acn anyone please now tell me how are we seeeing the supposed to be real image in the mirror

Just to verify: you've put the object between the focus and the centre of curvature (2f) of a concave mirror, so as to produce a real inverted image beyond that centre of curvature. Your experimental results completely agree with the theory (I don't know what you mean by diminished), but you don't understand why you can actually see a "real image"?

In that case, you see it for the same reason you see any other (real or virtual) image: draw some big detailed ray diagrams of different cases and you should understand that wherever you look from (well, provided you're still in the beam's path) the light rays which (seem to) reach your eye coming from any particular spot on the image actually originate from the corresponding spot on the object. Hence, how could your eyes ever distinguish the image from a real object (other than size, orientation and position)?

Related to Uncover the Mystery: Why You See a Real Image in a Concave Mirror

1. What is a real image in a concave mirror?

A real image is an image that is formed when light rays from an object converge at a point after reflecting off a concave mirror. This image can be projected onto a screen and is inverted compared to the object.

2. How is a real image formed in a concave mirror?

A real image is formed in a concave mirror because the inward curvature of the mirror causes light rays from an object to converge at a specific point, known as the focal point. This convergence creates a focused image that can be seen by an observer.

3. Why is the image formed in a concave mirror inverted?

The image formed in a concave mirror is inverted because the light rays from the object cross at the focal point and then reflect back outwards, creating an upside-down image. This is due to the reflective properties of the concave mirror and is a characteristic of real images formed by concave mirrors.

4. Can the size of a real image in a concave mirror be changed?

Yes, the size of a real image in a concave mirror can be changed by adjusting the distance between the object and the mirror. Moving the object closer to the mirror will result in a larger image, while moving it further away will result in a smaller image. This is because the distance from the object to the focal point affects the convergence of the light rays and therefore the size of the image formed.

5. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image in a concave mirror?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, while a virtual image is formed when the light rays only appear to converge at a point. In a concave mirror, a real image is formed in front of the mirror, while a virtual image is formed behind the mirror. Additionally, a real image can be projected onto a screen, while a virtual image cannot.