Choosing Relay for Two 55W Lights on 12V Battery

In summary, a relay is an electronic switch that allows a low voltage signal to control a high voltage circuit. It is necessary for two 55W lights because the total wattage exceeds the maximum load of a standard switch. A 12V DC relay with a 10A capacity is recommended for this setup. To connect the relay, input and output pins must be identified and connected according to the manufacturer's wiring diagram. A single relay can be used for multiple lights as long as the total wattage does not exceed the maximum load capacity.
david90
If two 55 watts light is connected to a car's 12v battery, what amp rating relay should I get? 55/12 = 4.5 * 2 = 9amps? right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Correct.

- Warren

Yes, that is correct. To safely power two 55W lights on a 12V battery, you will need a relay with an amp rating of at least 9 amps. It is always important to make sure the relay can handle the amount of power needed for your specific setup to avoid any potential damage or malfunctions.

What is a relay?

A relay is an electronic switch that is used to control the flow of electricity to a circuit. It allows a low voltage signal to control a high voltage circuit, making it useful for controlling devices that require more power than a switch can handle.

Why do I need a relay for two 55W lights?

A relay is necessary for two 55W lights because the total wattage of the lights exceeds the maximum load that a standard switch can handle. This can cause the switch to overheat and potentially fail. Using a relay ensures that the circuit is safely and efficiently powered.

What type of relay should I use?

For two 55W lights on a 12V battery, it is recommended to use a 12V DC relay with a minimum of 10A capacity. This will ensure that the relay can handle the power requirements of the lights without being overloaded.

How do I connect the relay?

To connect the relay, you will need to identify the input and output pins on the relay. The input pins will be connected to the low voltage control signal, usually from a switch. The output pins will be connected to the lights and the power source. It is important to follow the wiring diagram provided by the relay manufacturer.

Can I use a single relay for multiple lights?

Yes, you can use a single relay for multiple lights as long as the total wattage of the lights does not exceed the maximum load capacity of the relay. It is important to always check the specifications of the relay to ensure it can handle the power requirements of your lights.