Uncertainty of an electron in a core

In summary, In order to calculate the kinetic energy uncertainty, you need to use the Lorentz invariant.
71GA
Lets say we put an electron in a box (spherical) which has a radius ##r##. I want to know if position uncertainty ##\Delta x = r## or is it ##\Delta x = 2r##?

I need to know this to corectly calculate 1st the momentum uncertainty ##\Delta p=\frac{\hbar}{2\Delta x}## and 2nd that kinetic energy uncertainty ##\Delta E_k## using the Lorentz invariant like this:

\begin{align}
\Delta E^2 &= \Delta p^2 c^2 + {E_0}^2\\
\Delta E &= \sqrt{\Delta p^2 c^2 + {E_0}^2}\\
\Delta E_k + E_0 &= \sqrt{\Delta p^2 c^2 + {E_0}^2}\\
\Delta E_k &= \sqrt{\Delta p^2 c^2 + {E_0}^2} - E_0\\
\end{align}

Furthermore. Can anyone elce confirm that this is the proper way to get the kinetic energy uncertainty ##\Delta E_k##. Is it ok that uncertainty for full energy ##\Delta E## all comes from the uncertainty in kinetic energy ##\Delta E_k## and none from rest energy (infront of which i wrote no deltas) ##E_0##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework? You can use both, it does not matter for a rough approximation. A proper calculation would give the correct prefactor, but that is way more complicated.

ΔE is the minimal kinetic energy (again, neglecting small prefactors), the rest energy is constant and cannot have an uncertainty.

mfb said:
Is this homework?

I have been solving a homework yes, but i didn't know if i have to take ##\Delta x = r## or ##\Delta x = 2r##. But the question is theoretical. How do you mean i can use both? I still don't understand...

mfb means that if you were only asked to calculate the 'order of magnitude' of the uncertainty, then the teacher will say you are correct if you write [itex]\Delta x=r[/itex] or [itex]\Delta x = 2r[/itex]. (This is quite common for these types of questions). But if your teacher did not say 'order of magnitude', then assume he/she will care about which one you use.

Now, assuming you are not meant to do any Fourier transforms, then you are not supposed to calculate the exact uncertainty in momentum. So, as you say, you have the choice between [itex]\Delta x=r[/itex] or [itex]\Delta x = 2r[/itex]. Without doing any extra calculations, can you guarantee that [itex]\Delta x<2r[/itex]? And keep in mind that you are trying to come up with a lower bound of the uncertainty. This should determine which one you choose.

edit: Actually, I don't know if you are looking for a lower bound on uncertainty in momentum (see post 7)

Last edited:
BruceW said:
mfb means that if you were only asked to calculate the 'order of magnitude' of the uncertainty, then the teacher will say you are correct if you write [itex]\Delta x=r[/itex] or [itex]\Delta x = 2r[/itex]. (This is quite common for these types of questions). But if your teacher did not say 'order of magnitude', then assume he/she will care about which one you use.

Now, assuming you are not meant to do any Fourier transforms, then you are not supposed to calculate the exact uncertainty in momentum. So, as you say, you have the choice between [itex]\Delta x=r[/itex] or [itex]\Delta x = 2r[/itex]. Without doing any extra calculations, can you guarantee that [itex]\Delta x<2r[/itex]? And keep in mind that you are trying to come up with a lower bound of the uncertainty. This should determine which one you choose.

So i can't go wrong if i choose ##\Delta x = r## or ##\Delta x = 2r## unless my professor states which one to use. This is a good news indeed. I only used Fourier transform when dealing with Gauss to derive ##\Delta x \Delta p = \frac{\hbar}{2}##. Well i got ##\Delta x \Delta p = \hbar## which i couldn't explain after putting a week of effort in it... What a waste...

71GA said:
So i can't go wrong if i choose ##\Delta x = r## or ##\Delta x = 2r## unless my professor states which one to use. This is a good news indeed.
ah, be careful though. I would say ONLY if your professor stated 'order-of-magnitude', then you can't go wrong with either. If your professor did not say this, then I would say most likely you can go wrong, depending on which one you choose.

71GA said:
I only used Fourier transform when dealing with Gauss to derive ##\Delta x \Delta p = \frac{\hbar}{2}##. Well i got ##\Delta x \Delta p = \hbar## which i couldn't explain after putting a week of effort in it... What a waste...
Ah, I know that heartbreaking feeling, when you get to the end of a long calculation and it is off by some factor.

BruceW said:
ah, be careful though. I would say ONLY if your professor stated 'order-of-magnitude', then you can't go wrong with either. If your professor did not say this, then I would say most likely you can go wrong, depending on which one you choose.
Actually, uh... This depends was the problem to find a lower bound for the uncertainty in momentum, or just to find the uncertainty in momentum. Because if it was just 'find uncertainty in momentum', then yeah most likely you can't go wrong if you choose r or 2r as uncertainty in x.

BruceW said:
Ah, I know that heartbreaking feeling, when you get to the end of a long calculation and it is off by some factor.

Well this are the two pages that i have written to derive the uncertainty but missed it for a factor of ##1/2## (it is in the attachment). Maybee you could spot my mistake =)

Attachments

• skripta-del.pdf
    382.2 KB · Views: 346

Related to Uncertainty of an electron in a core

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the precise position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that the more accurately we know the position of an electron in a core, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

2. How does uncertainty affect the behavior of electrons in a core?

Uncertainty affects the behavior of electrons in a core by limiting our ability to predict their exact location and movement. This means that we can only describe the probability of finding an electron in a particular location, rather than its exact position.

3. Can we measure the uncertainty of an electron in a core?

No, we cannot measure the uncertainty of an electron in a core directly. The uncertainty principle tells us that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously, so we can only calculate the uncertainty by using other known values.

4. How does the uncertainty of an electron affect our understanding of atoms?

The uncertainty of an electron plays a crucial role in our understanding of atoms. It explains why electrons do not simply spiral into the nucleus and helps us to understand the behavior of atoms and their properties, such as energy levels and chemical bonding.

5. Is there a way to minimize the uncertainty of an electron in a core?

No, the uncertainty principle is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and cannot be avoided or minimized. However, we can use mathematical techniques, such as the Schrödinger equation, to describe the probability of finding an electron in a particular location and minimize the uncertainty as much as possible.