What Are the Momentum Characteristics of a Quantum Wave Packet?

In summary: However, there is one more that keeps me worried. Let us take the case where we have a laser beam which is monochromatic (say, of definite wavefunction, let us say with momentum ##k_o##). We have that the momentum operator is just ##\hat p=-i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}##. Thus, we should have that the wavefuntion is a momentum eigenstate. That is: ##\hat p\psi =p\psi##. If we solve this equation, we get that ##\psi =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ikx}##. On the other hand, we have that ##\psi (x
mgal95
The problem stated below is from Liboff "Introductory Quantum Mechanics" (2nd Edition), exercise 5.4.

Homework Statement

A pulse ## 1m ## long contains ##1000 \alpha ## particles. At ## t=0## each ##\alpha## particle is in the state:
[tex]
\psi (x,0)=\frac{1}{10}\exp (ik_ox)
[/tex]
for [itex]|x|\leq 50cm[/itex] and zero elsewhere. It is given that [itex]k_o=\pi/50[/itex]
(a) At [itex]t=0[/itex], how many [itex]\alpha[/itex] particles have momentum in the interval [itex]0\leq\hbar k\leq \hbar k_o[/itex] ?
(b) At which values of momentum will ##\alpha## particles not be found at ##t=0##?
(c) Describe an experiment to "prepare" such a state.
(d) Construct ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta p## for this state, formally. What is ##\Delta x\Delta p##? (Hint: To calculate ##\Delta p##, use ##|b(k)|^2##)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As I get it, we are in a Hilbert Space spanned by the eigenfunctions of the momentum operator, which constitute a continuous set. Thus, the state wavefunction should be written as:
[tex]
\psi (x,0)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} b(k)\phi_k dx
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\phi_k =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ikx}
[/tex]
Thus, we have (let L=100cm): ##\displaystyle b(k)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\psi (x,0)\phi^{\star}_k dx=...=\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi L}}\frac{\sin[(k_o-k)L/2]}{k_o-k}##
(a) That being said, the number of particles in the given interval is just the integral:
[tex]
N_{interval}=N_{total}\int_0^{k_o}|b(k)|^2dk
[/tex]
(b) We will not find particles in the states whom ##b(k)## equals to zero, that is: ##\sin[(k_o-k)L/2]=0\rightarrow k=\frac{2n\pi}{L}-k_o\rightarrow p_k=\hbar k=\cdots## with ##n\in\mathbb Z##
(c) I suppose that we could get a laser beam of definite wavelenght, which means of definitive momentum, and just send a pulse of ##100cm## in lenght. The state of such a laser beam (thought in the whole x axis) should be an eigenstate of the momentum (the one with ##k_o## should be chosen obviously). When we send the pulse (turn on and off the laser), we should get the given wavefunction. Is that any close to being right?
(d) I have encountered many problems here. I used the definition for the uncertainty, that is:
[tex]
(\Delta p)^2=\left<\hat{p}^2\right>-\left<\hat{p}\right>^2=\left<\psi \right|\hat{p}^2\left|\psi\right>-\left<\psi\right|\hat{p}\left|\psi\right>^2
[/tex]
Computing the above, I get:
##\displaystyle \left<\psi \right|\hat{p}^2\left|\psi\right>=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\psi^{\star}\hat{p}^2\psi dx=(-i\hbar)^2(ik_o)^2\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\psi^{\star}\psi dx=k_o^2\hbar^2##
And the other one: ##\displaystyle \left<\psi \right|\hat{p}\left|\psi\right>=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\psi^{\star}\hat{p}\psi dx=(-i\hbar)(ik_o)\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\psi^{\star}\psi dx=k_o\hbar##
But this gives ##\Delta p =0## ! This could be true if the uncertainty in ##x## was infinite. However, it is easily seen that this is not the case because: ##\displaystyle \left<x\right>=\int_{-L/2}^{L/2} x|\psi|^2dx=0## and ##\displaystyle \left<x^2\right>=\int_{-L/2}^{L/2} x^2|\psi|^2dx=\frac{L^2}{12}##
My first issue is that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is violated, which means that somewhere lies a mistake. I see that the uncertainty in the momentum cannot be zero because I prooved in (a) that there is a continuous spectrum of the momentum eigenstates which constitute our wavefunction. In addition to that, I tried to compute the integrals in the case where the exponential is all over the x axis, namely when we have as state function an eigenstate of the momentum (where I should get zero uncertainty in the momentum). Both integrals (obviously) go to infinity and cannot be substracted. Last but not least, we are supposed to have ##C^{\infty}## functions as wavefunctions (at least ##C^2##). This postulate gives us the boundary conditions in problems like the infinite well. However ##e^z## does not equal zero for any ##z\in\mathbb C##. How can we have, then, such a wavefunction?
I want to know, first of all, which of my ideas are right and which are false. I study quantum mechanics on my own and there is no one else to ask for help. I am supposed to take the course at the University this Fall and I am trying to prepare myself a bit. I have a lot of other questions as well, but this one has got on my nerves for 2 days now and I cannot sleep, because I think I am deprived of basic knowledge.
Thank you for your time and forgive my english. It is not my mother tongue.

Physics news on Phys.org
mgal95 said:
I suppose that we could get a laser beam of definite wavelenght, which means of definitive momentum, and just send a pulse of ##100cm## in lenght. The state of such a laser beam (thought in the whole x axis) should be an eigenstate of the momentum (the one with ##k_o## should be chosen obviously). When we send the pulse (turn on and off the laser), we should get the given wavefunction. Is that any close to being right?
In (a), you calculated that the beam is not monochromatic. It cannot be, otherwise it would extend to infinity. A true monochromatic source cannot send pulses.
There is no realistic way to get extremely sharp edges like here, but cutting a monochromatic beam from both sides from is probably the best approach.

(d): Your ψ is not differentiable at the ends of the beam. You cannot ignore that region, it leads to the deviations from your calculations. While it should be possible to use delta distributions here, it I guess it is easier to use the momentum spectrum that you found already.

Thank you very much for your reply! Sometimes I cannot see the obvious!

Related to What Are the Momentum Characteristics of a Quantum Wave Packet?

1. What is a wave packet and how does it relate to uncertainty?

A wave packet is a localized disturbance in a medium that travels as a wave. In quantum mechanics, it refers to a localized probability distribution of a particle's position and momentum. The uncertainty of a wave packet refers to the limitations in simultaneously knowing the exact position and momentum of a particle, as described by Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

2. How is the uncertainty of a wave packet calculated?

The uncertainty of a wave packet is calculated using the standard deviation of the position and momentum values. This is represented by the equation ΔxΔp ≥ h/4π, where Δx is the uncertainty in position, Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, and h is the Planck constant.

3. Can the uncertainty of a wave packet be reduced?

No, the uncertainty of a wave packet is an inherent property of quantum mechanics and cannot be reduced or eliminated. This is due to the probabilistic nature of particles at the quantum level.

4. How does the size of a wave packet affect its uncertainty?

A smaller wave packet will have a larger uncertainty in momentum, while a larger wave packet will have a smaller uncertainty in momentum. This is because a smaller wave packet has a more localized position, making it more difficult to determine the exact momentum of the particle.

5. How does the shape of a wave packet affect its uncertainty?

The shape of a wave packet does not affect its uncertainty. The uncertainty is solely determined by the standard deviation of the position and momentum values, which are independent of the shape of the wave packet.