What is the Uncertainty in the Total Weight of a Collection of Similar Items?

JT Smith
TL;DR Summary
Determine uncertainty in total weight of N different objects weighed separately (NOT homework)
Not a homework assignment. Just what must be a solved problem that I'm embarrassed I don't know how look up or figure out on my own.

I want to know the total weight of a collection of N items. They are all similar but of different, unknown weights. My scale has a known accuracy of ±U units. If I weigh 1 object I can say that it's weight is as measured, ±U. So what can I say about the uncertainty of the total weight of N objects?
EDIT: Each item weighed separately.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How many items can you place on the scales at the one time?

JT Smith said:
TL;DR Summary: Determine uncertainty in total weight of N different objects weighed separately (NOT homework)

Not a homework assignment. Just what must be a solved problem that I'm embarrassed I don't know how look up or figure out on my own.

I want to know the total weight of a collection of N items. They are all similar but of different, unknown weights. My scale has a known accuracy of ±U units. If I weigh 1 object I can say that it's weight is as measured, ±U. So what can I say about the uncertainty of the total weight of N objects?
You can use the propagation of uncertainty to determine this. In this situation, the variance of the total weight is the sum of the variances. And since each measurement has the same variance we get $$U_{total}=\sqrt{N} U$$

Likes russ_watters
Baluncore said:
How many items can you place on the scales at the one time?

One at a time. Sorry, I left that important fact out of the description.

Dale said:
You can use the propagation of uncertainty to determine this. In this situation, the variance of the total weight is the sum of the variances. And since each measurement has the same variance we get $$U_{total}=\sqrt{N} U$$

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know.

I mistakenly thought that rule only applied when repeatedly measuring the same thing.

JT Smith said:
Thank you, that's what I wanted to know.

I mistakenly thought that rule only applied when repeatedly measuring the same thing.
You are welcome. It applies any time you are adding up a bunch of measurements each with the same uncertainty.

Likes russ_watters
JT Smith said:
My scale has a known accuracy of ±U units. I
What does that mean?

If it always reads a half-gram high, this formula will not be right.

Likes jbriggs444
Vanadium 50 said:
What does that mean?

If it's always a half-gram high, it doesn't have "a known accuracy of ±U", so the formula does not apply.

Vanadium 50 said:
What does that mean?

What does it mean when a scale has a specification of a certain precision? I take it to mean that, ideally at least, that a large number of measurements would generate a symmetric distribution, around the mean value, that has a width corresponding to the precision. And by width I mean a large percentage of the measurements (95%?) would fall within. Maybe this isn't exactly right but I think I have the basic idea.

In general it's probably a very complicated question. I just wanted a basic approach to extending the uncertainty because the worst-case scenario, where every measurement is at maximum uncertainty in the same direction, isn't very realistic -- provided the error is truly random. If there is some sort of systematic bias then it's a different question.

JT Smith said:
In general it's probably a very complicated question.
That is correct. That is why I wanted you to think about it.

If you take two meter sticks and place them side by side, they may differ by 1 or even 2 mm. Obviously, they can't both be right. So the idea "distribution around the mean value: is non-trivial. Your single number represents two concepts - "how wide is this distribution" and 'how well is it centered around the true value".

JT Smith said:
And by width I mean a large percentage of the measurements (95%?) would fall within. Maybe this isn't exactly right but I think I have the basic idea.
Usually the reported specification would be one standard deviation. Hopefully the documentation is clear, eg by using the term “standard uncertainty” or “standard deviation”. But if it is ambiguous then assume it is a standard deviation rather than a 95% confidence interval.

Likes Vanadium 50
Squizzie said:
If it's always a half-gram high, it doesn't have "a known accuracy of ±U", so the formula does not apply.
I disagree. An unknown systematic error may still be known to be bounded by ##\pm U##.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Dale
Vanadium 50 said:
If you take two meter sticks and place them side by side, they may differ by 1 or even 2 mm. Obviously, they can't both be right. So the idea "distribution around the mean value: is non-trivial. Your single number represents two concepts - "how wide is this distribution" and 'how well is it centered around the true value".

That's why I said "accurate" instead of "precise". I wanted to convey the message that the scale was reporting a range of values centered around the true value.

I don't know what is standard for specifications. I don't own any expensive laboratory balances. The consumer grade scales I have used usually just specify precision and linearity. I suppose I could carefully test my scale and figure out the confidence level. A real scale may be less precise at higher weights, which is why I said that the items in question were of similar weight.

But I never meant for this to go very deep. My question was simple and has been answered. That's not to say you guys can't take it further though.

Likes Nugatory and Dale

1. What does "uncertainty in the total weight" mean?

Uncertainty in the total weight refers to the estimated range or error margin within which the true value of the total weight of a collection of items is expected to lie. This uncertainty arises due to various factors such as variations in individual item weights, inaccuracies in measuring instruments, or sampling errors. It is crucial for ensuring accurate and reliable weight measurements in scientific and industrial applications.

2. How is the uncertainty in the total weight calculated?

The uncertainty in the total weight can be calculated using statistical methods. If the weights of individual items are measured separately, the total uncertainty can often be estimated by combining the individual uncertainties, assuming they are independent. This is typically done by summing the squares of the individual uncertainties (standard deviations) and then taking the square root of the result (root sum square method). Alternatively, if a sample of items is weighed together, the uncertainty can be directly calculated from the variability of the sample.

3. What factors contribute to the uncertainty in the total weight?

Several factors contribute to the uncertainty in the total weight, including the precision and accuracy of the weighing instrument, the homogeneity of the item weights, environmental factors like temperature and humidity, and the method used for weighing. Each of these factors can introduce variability or errors in the measurement process, affecting the overall uncertainty.

4. Why is it important to estimate the uncertainty in the total weight?

Estimating the uncertainty in the total weight is important for quality control, compliance with trade and safety regulations, and scientific research. It helps in verifying the reliability of weight measurements and ensures that they meet the required standards and tolerances. Additionally, understanding the uncertainty helps in making informed decisions based on the weight measurements, such as in material formulation, budgeting, and logistics planning.

5. How can the uncertainty in the total weight be minimized?

The uncertainty in the total weight can be minimized by using more precise and accurate weighing instruments, calibrating equipment regularly, training personnel in proper measurement techniques, and controlling environmental variables that may affect the measurements. Additionally, increasing the sample size or the number of measurements and using statistical methods to analyze and reduce data variability can also help in reducing uncertainty.