Uncertainty in the presence of quantum memory

In summary, the paper "The uncertainty principle in the presence of quantum memory" by Berta and others discusses a scenario where Bob can beat the bound of the uncertainty principle on a particle P by maximally entangling it with a quantum memory M. This allows Bob to determine the result of a measurement performed by Alice on P by performing the same measurement on M. However, it is unclear how this relates to the uncertainty principle and if it truly violates it. Some suggest that it is an "entropic uncertainty principle" rather than a direct violation of the HUP. This theory has been tested and verified in experiments.
msumm21
I am looking at the paper "The uncertainty principle in the presence of quantum memory" by Berta and others. It states that if Bob maximally entangles a particle P with a quantum memory M then he can beat the bound of the uncertainty principle on P. The argument is that, if Bob gives P to Alice and she measures some property then Bob can determine her result by performing the same measurement on M, all she has to tell him is what she measured, but not the results of the measurement. He can determine the result from M.

I'm not questioning the last statement above, but I'm having trouble seeing how this beats the bound of the uncertainty principle, or even relates to the uncertainty principle. As I understood it the uncertainty principle gives a lower bound on the product of the standard deviation of two observables -- it limits how well you can SIMULTANEOUSLY know the value of both observables. In this case, all I see is Bob being able to determine the value of one observable, not two.

Anyone know why they are saying that Bob can beat the bound of the uncertainty principle. An example using spin entangled electrons might be good if it is sufficient. Are they saying Bob can simultaneously determine the spin about two different axes? All I see is him being able to determine the spin about one or the other.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to admit that after reviewing their paper, I really am not sure what they are asserting nor how it beats the HUP. I certainly don't see how a quantum memory changes anything.

DrChinese said:
I certainly don't see how a quantum memory changes anything.
Can one, at least, explain what quantum memory is? I don't understand even that.

I wonder if the problem is simply that the example and explanation they provide early in the paper is not good / oversimplified -- there are quite a few links out there if you Google for the title of the paper and they all restate the conclusion that the uncertainty principle is violated and none of them I found question it. I will try to look in more detail in the arxiv link above since the original paper I had did not go into the details like that one.

afaics they are talking about an "entropic uncertainty principle" rather than a violation of the HUP in its strict form. The theory has been verified according to this paper:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.0332 "Experimental investigation of the uncertainty principle in the presence of quantum memory"

see Baez's blog article for more info http://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2010/10/19/entropy-and-uncertainty/

and further discussions http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.aspx?ItemId=82019&CultureCode=en and here

Related to Uncertainty in the presence of quantum memory

1. What is quantum memory and how does it relate to uncertainty?

Quantum memory is the ability of a quantum system to store information in a coherent and controllable manner. In the presence of quantum memory, the uncertainty principle is still applicable, but the uncertainty can be reduced by retrieving information from the memory.

2. How does uncertainty in the presence of quantum memory affect quantum computing?

The presence of quantum memory can lead to a reduction in uncertainty, which can improve the accuracy of quantum computing operations. This can also allow for more complex calculations to be performed, as the system has greater control over the stored information.

3. Can quantum memory eliminate all uncertainty in quantum systems?

No, even with quantum memory, there will always be some level of uncertainty in quantum systems due to the fundamental nature of quantum mechanics. However, the presence of quantum memory can reduce this uncertainty and improve the overall performance of quantum systems.

4. How is quantum memory different from classical memory?

Quantum memory operates on the principles of quantum mechanics, while classical memory operates on classical physics principles. Quantum memory can store information in multiple states simultaneously, while classical memory can only store information in one state at a time.

5. What are some potential applications of uncertainty in the presence of quantum memory?

Quantum memory has potential applications in quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum cryptography. It can also aid in the study of quantum entanglement and quantum information processing. Additionally, it may have uses in improving the precision of measurements and sensors.