Uncertainty formula in resistor

In summary, the question involves calculating the uncertainty in power using the formula p=v^2/R. The fractional errors for potential difference and resistance are 3% and 2%, respectively. The correct approach is to add the fractional errors, not subtract them, resulting in an uncertainty of 8%. The answer is option C.
jinx007
I am having a lot pf problem to attempt this question, please help me, i am stuck..!

The power loss P in a resistor is calculated using the formula p=v^2/R

The uncertainty in the potential difference V is 3% and the uncertainty in the resistance R is 2%. What is the Uncertainty in P?

A/ 4%

B/ 7%

C/ 8%

D/ 11%

Hmmm My attempt:

Fractional error = in V, 0.09 and in R 0.2 i subtracted and i got 0.11 that is 11% ANSWER D

And i can be at 98% sure that the answer is not correct as uncertainty cannot be substrate d ..? please help me to attempt the question !

Physics news on Phys.org
the fractional error in V is 6% (3% x 2), not 9%. if it's a square, the fractional error doubles; if it is a cube, the fractional error triples; and so on...

the fractional error in R is 2%.

ADD them up. If I remember correctly you never subtract any fractional error. it just add them all.

The answer should be C, 8%.

Related to Uncertainty formula in resistor

1. What is the uncertainty formula in resistor?

The uncertainty formula in resistor is given by ΔR = R × (ΔV/V + ΔI/I), where ΔR is the uncertainty in resistance, R is the nominal resistance, ΔV is the uncertainty in voltage, and ΔI is the uncertainty in current.

2. How is the uncertainty in resistance calculated?

The uncertainty in resistance is calculated by multiplying the nominal resistance by the sum of the fractional uncertainties in voltage and current. This accounts for the potential variations in both voltage and current that can affect the overall resistance measurement.

3. Why is the uncertainty formula important in resistor measurements?

The uncertainty formula is important in resistor measurements because it helps to quantify the potential errors and variations in the measured resistance. This is especially important in scientific experiments and engineering applications where precise and accurate measurements are crucial.

4. Can the uncertainty formula be applied to all types of resistors?

Yes, the uncertainty formula can be applied to all types of resistors, including fixed resistors, variable resistors, and thermistors. However, the specific values for the uncertainties may vary depending on the type and quality of the resistor being used.

5. How can the uncertainty in resistance be minimized?

The uncertainty in resistance can be minimized by using high-quality resistors, ensuring proper calibration of measuring instruments, and reducing any external factors that may affect the voltage and current measurements. Additionally, taking multiple measurements and calculating an average can also help reduce the overall uncertainty in resistance.