Uncertain Hamiltonian and Values Therein

• Thread starter Kreizhn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hamiltonian
In summary, a Hamiltonian was presented in the form of H = \omega (\sigma_z^1 - \sigma_z^2) + J \sigma_z^1 \sigma_z^2 where \omega represents a frequency and J represents indirect dipole-dipole coupling. The Hamiltonian is being implemented physically and there may be values for \omega and J that correspond to a particular system. The Hamiltonian is already diagonal in the obvious choice of basis and has 4 eigenstates. It is possible that this Hamiltonian represents a subsystem of a larger one and further explanation is needed to fully understand its significance and possible applications.
Kreizhn
Hey all,

I've got a Hamiltonian of the form

[tex] H = \omega (\sigma_z^1 - \sigma_z^2) + J \sigma_z^1 \sigma_z^2 [/tex]

where [itex] \omega [/itex] is a frequency ( I think), J is the indirect dipole-dipole coupling, and [itex] \sigma_z^i [/itex] is the Pauli Z operator on the ith particle.

Does anybody know what this Hamiltonian represents? Where it's used? Or values for [itex] \omega, J [/itex]? I can look up J coupling easily enough given that I randomly choose two interacting particles/molecules, but I'm really uncertain as to what [itex] \omega [/itex] represents in this case and what values it should take.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about a two site Ising model in a staggered magnetic field?
Or a million other possible interpretations - it looks like a toy model.

From what I understand it's being implemented physically so I don't think it's too "idealized". Are there omega values that go along with that by chance?

I don't know, your question is very odd. *If* that Hamiltonian is realized somewhere, then the realization will have definite values for the parameters. But you can't point to a Hamiltonian and demand to know the values of the parameters without specifying a particular system. In any case, it's only got 4 states, and doesn't even need to be diagonalized: I don't understand your interest.

I don't believe I made any such demands. I'm just inquiring as to if somebody would recognize the Hamiltonian and hence could point out plausible values of omega. It's not even that I am looking for concrete values, but more the physical significance of the omega term from which I can find the values myself. Sadly, I am more of a mathematician than a physicist and so sometimes I require someone to point me in the right "physical" direction.

Also, I fail to see how there are only four states. There may be four basis states, but that is certainly not an exhaustive list. This is, in fact, not the entire Hamiltonian but instead representing a subsystem that I do not recognize. I also don't recall saying I was interested in what states become of this Hamiltonian.

I mean no offense when I say that your scope as to the possible applications of such a Hamiltonian and why it might be interesting are quite narrow. If you would like the full story I would be more than happy to explain, though I do not believe it will be enlightening.

I'll explain where I'm coming from as a physicist - normally one starts with a physical system in mind, then writes down a plausible model Hamiltonian to work from. But here it is the opposite, you have presented a Hamiltonian, and want to know a plausible physical system.

The Hamiltonian you have written is already diagonal in the obvious choice of basis, and there are 4 eigenstates.

This is, in fact, not the entire Hamiltonian but instead representing a subsystem that I do not recognize.
Does it commute with the rest of the Hamiltonian?

I mean no offense when I say that your scope as to the possible applications of such a Hamiltonian and why it might be interesting are quite narrow. If you would like the full story I would be more than happy to explain, though I do not believe it will be enlightening.
If you explain further then there is certainly more chance that someone here will be able to help you, because at the moment, I cannot make sense of your question.

Related to Uncertain Hamiltonian and Values Therein

1. What is an uncertain Hamiltonian?

An uncertain Hamiltonian refers to a Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics that has a range of possible values instead of a single fixed value. This can be due to various factors such as measurement uncertainty or intrinsic quantum uncertainty.

2. How is an uncertain Hamiltonian represented mathematically?

In mathematical terms, an uncertain Hamiltonian is represented as a Hermitian operator on a Hilbert space, which results in a set of possible outcomes for a particular quantum system.

3. What are the implications of an uncertain Hamiltonian?

An uncertain Hamiltonian has significant implications in quantum mechanics as it affects the predictions of the system's behavior. It can lead to a range of possible outcomes instead of a single definite outcome, making it challenging to determine the exact state of a quantum system.

4. How is uncertainty in Hamiltonian related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. An uncertain Hamiltonian is related to this principle as it involves uncertainty in the energy levels of a quantum system, which is related to its momentum.

5. Can an uncertain Hamiltonian be measured or predicted?

Technically, an uncertain Hamiltonian cannot be measured or predicted precisely, as it involves inherent quantum uncertainty. However, statistical methods can be used to make predictions about the range of possible values for a particular Hamiltonian.