Unbiased Physical Vapor Deposition

In summary, the speaker has built a vacuum PVD system for ion beam sputtering deposition. They did not bias the system, but because the substrate cradle is made from an insulator, the system works without bias. The speaker is curious how this is possible and asks for assistance. The other person suggests that the sputtered atoms have enough kinetic energy to bond with the substrate surface, but not enough to remove substrate atoms. They also mention that presputtering the substrate surface can improve adhesion. The speaker offers to send a diagram to better explain the setup.
jf11235813
I apologize if this seems ignorant, but I am at a loss and I need some assistance. I recently built a small vacuum PVD system (Ion source, argon, target material, substrate cradle, etc.) and was showing it to a colleague when it was noticed that my system was unbiased. It actually didn't occur to me to bias the system when I was building it, but my substrate cradle is made from an insulator so it is definitely unbiased. My question is, how is it that it works?? Because it definitely works; I get a good coating on every substrate I sputter. Any help?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are doing ion beam sputtering deposition, i. e. by aiming the ion source at the target, then the sputtered atoms reaching the substrate from the target will have an average kinetic energy that is generally more than enough (several eV) to form a bond with substrate surface atoms, but not enough energy to remove a significant amount of substrate atoms. So the coating should be pretty well adhered to the substrate, especially if there is a chemical affinity between the coating atoms and the substrate atoms. If you are using the ion beam to presputter the substrate surface before deposition, removing physically and chemically adsorbed impurity atoms, the adhesion should also be considerably removed.

Larry Stelmack lstelmack@alum.mit.edu

The ion source is actually pointing away from the target. Would you mind if i sent you a simple diagram to better illustrate? I'm not sure if I can explain it well enough.

Related to Unbiased Physical Vapor Deposition

1. What is Unbiased Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD)?

Unbiased Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) is a process used to deposit thin films of materials onto a substrate. It involves the evaporation of a solid material in a vacuum chamber, followed by the deposition of the vapor onto a substrate.

2. How does Unbiased PVD differ from other deposition techniques?

Unlike other deposition techniques, Unbiased PVD does not require the use of bias voltage or electric fields to deposit the material. Instead, it relies on the physical process of evaporation and condensation to deposit the material onto the substrate.

3. What are the advantages of using Unbiased PVD?

Unbiased PVD offers several advantages, including high purity and uniformity of the deposited material, as well as the ability to deposit a wide range of materials, including metals, semiconductors, and insulators. It also allows for precise control of film thickness and can be used to create thin films with unique properties.

4. What are the applications of Unbiased PVD?

Unbiased PVD is commonly used in the production of microelectronics, such as integrated circuits and thin film transistors. It is also used in the production of solar cells, optical coatings, and wear-resistant coatings on various materials.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of Unbiased PVD?

One potential drawback of Unbiased PVD is the limited control over the direction of deposition, which can result in uneven thickness distribution on the substrate. Additionally, the process can be time-consuming and expensive, making it less suitable for large-scale production compared to other deposition techniques.