X-Files: Moldy & Smelly Visit a Particle Accelerator

In summary, the conversation revolved around the X-Files and a specific episode involving Moldy and Smelly visiting a particle accelerator and using megawatts to create Meesons. The conversation also mentioned a separate episode of Monk featuring the same actor and a joke about his "black hole" shadow.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I enjoy the X-Files; big surprise eh?

Sometime the references to scientific subjects just kill me.

I just saw an episode where Moldy and Smelly visit an particle accelerator.

They use billions of megawatts to make Meesons.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I saw that one! Isn't that the one where the guy's shadow had become a "black hole" because he had been bombarded with "dark matter"? Yeah, that was just plain painfull to watch.

What really threw me was that the next day I saw an episode of Monk (starring the same guy). All through the show I kept yelling at people, "DON'T LET HIS SHADOW TOUCH YOU!".

As a fan of the X-Files, I can definitely understand your excitement about this episode. The show always manages to incorporate intriguing scientific concepts into their storylines, and the use of a particle accelerator is no exception. It's fascinating to think about the immense amount of energy required to create Meesons, and I'm sure Moldy and Smelly's visit to the accelerator was filled with suspense and mystery. The X-Files truly knows how to keep us on the edge of our seats, even when dealing with complex scientific topics. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this episode!

1. What is the premise of "X-Files: Moldy & Smelly Visit a Particle Accelerator"?

The premise of this episode is that Mulder and Scully investigate strange occurrences at a particle accelerator facility, where they encounter mold and a mysterious smell.

2. Is this episode based on real science?

While the concept of a particle accelerator is based on real science, the mold and smell aspect is fictionalized for the purposes of the show.

3. How does the particle accelerator work?

A particle accelerator uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles to high speeds, allowing scientists to study their properties and interactions. In this episode, the accelerator is also being used for experiments involving dark matter.

4. What role does mold play in the episode?

The mold is connected to the strange occurrences at the particle accelerator and is used as a plot device to create tension and mystery. It is also used to illustrate the potential dangers of scientific experiments gone wrong.

5. Will this episode have any impact on real-life particle accelerator facilities?

No, this episode is purely fictional and is not intended to have any impact on real-life particle accelerator facilities. However, it does raise ethical questions about the potential consequences of scientific experiments and the need for proper safety measures.