Unable to get into Java based intro course, might CLEP?

In summary, the speaker spoke with their advisor about potentially CLEPing out of an introductory Java course. They had little experience in Java and were considering taking the department exam to skip the course, but were also considering staying in the class and studying on their own. They were curious about the difficulty of the CLEP exam for intro to Java.
Niaboc67
I spoke with my adviser about this he said "have you ever programmed in Java before? because you could CLEP out into the following course" I told him I have programmed very little in Java. Now my life was a bit shattered when I realized the wait-lists for this class were too much to get in. So now I am trying to find a strategy. I was thinking of taking his suggestion and trying to CLEP out come the start of next semester. But I'll need to study very hard I already know. I was even thinking of staying in the class I was suppose to be in and take notes. Could this be done? could I have gained enough knowledge through CLEP study-guides, online materials, and the class lecture notes to CLEP for next semester? how difficult are the CLEP exams for intro to Java?

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did not know CLEP offers such an exam. Perhaps your advisor was referring to a department exam. Below is the list of CLEP exams as far as I know.

https://clep.collegeboard.org/exams/offered

Yes, I think that is what he was referring to the department exam, not a CLEP. I think the term CLEP is just used now to refer to testing out of a class.

Related to Unable to get into Java based intro course, might CLEP?

1. Why am I unable to get into the Java based intro course?

There could be several reasons why you are unable to get into the Java based intro course. It could be that the course is full and there are no available seats. It could also be that you do not meet the prerequisites for the course, such as having a certain level of programming experience or completing certain courses.

2. What is CLEP and how does it relate to the Java based intro course?

CLEP stands for College-Level Examination Program and it is a way for students to earn college credit by taking exams in various subjects. If you are unable to get into the Java based intro course, you may consider taking a CLEP exam for that subject to fulfill the course requirement.

3. Can I use CLEP credits to fulfill the prerequisite for the Java based intro course?

It depends on the policies of the institution and the specific course. Some institutions may accept CLEP credits as prerequisites for certain courses, while others may not. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the course instructor to see if CLEP credits can be used to fulfill the prerequisite for the Java based intro course.

4. Is it recommended to take the CLEP exam instead of the Java based intro course?

It ultimately depends on your learning style and goals. If you are confident in your knowledge of the subject and have a strong understanding of Java, you may benefit from taking the CLEP exam. However, if you are new to programming or prefer a more structured learning environment, it may be more beneficial to take the Java based intro course.

5. Will taking the CLEP exam affect my GPA?

No, taking the CLEP exam does not affect your GPA. Unlike regular courses, CLEP exams do not have a letter grade associated with them. Instead, you will receive a pass or fail mark based on your performance on the exam. This will not impact your GPA but will still count towards earning credit for the course.