Umm wtf. way to funny. Must read

• Thread starter mapper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary, three species of slime-mold beetles have been named after George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, and Donald H. Rumsfeld by entomologists Quentin Wheeler and Kelly B. Miller. The names follow the guidelines for naming new species and are meant to pay homage to the leaders for their courage and principles. The names were published in the Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History.
mapper
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/04/14/bush.beetle.ap/index.html

Bush has slime-mold beetle named after him

ITHACA, New York (AP) -- Not just anybody can say he has a slime-mold beetle named in his honor. But George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and Donald H. Rumsfeld can.

Entomologists Quentin Wheeler and Kelly B. Miller, who recently had the task of naming 65 newly discovered species of slime-mold beetles, named three species after the president, vice president and defense secretary.

The monikers: Agathidium bushi Miller and Wheeler, Agathidium cheneyi Miller and Wheeler, and Agathidium rumsfeldi Miller and Wheeler.

According to the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature, the first word of a new species is its genus; the second word must end in "i" if it's named after a person; and the final part of the name includes the person or persons who first described the species.

Naming the beetles after Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld was intended to pay homage to them, said Wheeler, who taught at Cornell University for 24 years and now is with the Natural History Museum in London.

"We admire these leaders as fellow citizens who have the courage of their convictions and are willing to do the very difficult and unpopular work of living up to principles of freedom and democracy rather than accepting the expedient or popular," he said.

Wheeler and Miller, who was at Cornell and now is a postdoctoral fellow at Brigham Young University, published the names in the March 24 issue of the Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"giggles" :rofl:

I assume all the dung beetles names are taken...

Last edited:
The fact that they did George, Dick and Donnald makes me roflmo.

Admiration?! Please! Funny though.

hypatia said:
"giggles" :rofl:

I assume all the dung beetles names are taken...
I think that the Nixon administration got those.

Oh, they're very good at covering and saying they're honoring them. :rofl: Yep, honoring them by naming slime beetles for them. Well, they can't actually admit they were making fun of them; they might have some folks in trenchcoats and sunglasses showing up at the door to whisk them away one night. :rofl: I think it's time for a new biology textbook edition with some new examples of species nomenclature. :biggrin:

Slime beetles aren't very popular, but something's got to fill that niche. :tongue:

1. What is "Umm wtf. way to funny. Must read"?

"Umm wtf. way to funny. Must read" is a phrase commonly used on social media or in casual conversations to express surprise and amusement at something funny or unexpected.

2. Who usually says "Umm wtf. way to funny. Must read"?

This phrase can be used by anyone who finds something funny or surprising, but it is most commonly used by young adults and teenagers.

3. What makes something "way to funny"?

The phrase "way to funny" is often used as an exaggerated way of saying something is extremely funny. It can be used to describe a variety of things, such as jokes, memes, or videos.

4. Why is this a "must read"?

The phrase "must read" is often used to encourage others to read or view something that is considered interesting or entertaining. In the context of "Umm wtf. way to funny. Must read", it is a way of expressing that the content is worth seeing.

5. Is "Umm wtf. way to funny. Must read" a grammatically correct sentence?

No, it is not a grammatically correct sentence. It is a colloquial phrase commonly used in informal contexts. The word "way" is often used as an intensifier in casual speech, and "to" is used instead of "too" for emphasis. The phrase also lacks a subject and verb, making it a fragment.