Ultra-relativistic gas average energy as E(T)

Therefore, in summary, the average energy of the gas is given by $E = c N k_B T$, where $N$ is the number of particles and $T$ is the temperature.
prehisto

Homework Statement

Ultra-relativistic particle with energy epsilon and momentum p is described by epsilon=cp. Find average energy E(T) of gas which consists of particles described above.

Homework Equations

So i think i should use this kind of equations(please use the link below)
http://postimg.org/image/wwhct3lev/full/
So i know the general form of Partition integral and i think i could calculate the average energy using Helmholtz formula.
The problem now is how to represent the Partition integral according to my problem.

could someone please help me?
P.s. I apologize for using image instead of Latex( which does not work for me)

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!A:The partition function is the integral over all microstates of the Boltzmann factor. In this case, the Boltzmann factor is just 1 since the particles are ultra-relativistic. Thus, the partition function is just the number of microstates. The single particle energy is $\epsilon = cp$, so each particle has $c$ energy levels. The total number of microstates is $N=c^N$.The average energy is then$$E = \frac{\partial \ln Z}{\partial (-1/T)} = \frac{N}{Z}\frac{\partial Z}{\partial (-1/T)} = \frac{N k_B T}{Z} \frac{\partial Z}{\partial T} = \frac{N c k_B T}{Z}$$where we have used a substitution of $-1/T$ for $\beta$ in the first equality and the fact that $\partial Z/\partial T = -\partial Z/\partial \beta$ in the third equality.Plugging in our expression for $Z$ and rearranging gives$$E = c N k_B T$$

Related to Ultra-relativistic gas average energy as E(T)

1. What is an ultra-relativistic gas?

An ultra-relativistic gas is a type of gas that consists of particles moving at extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light. These particles have a lot of kinetic energy and exhibit behaviors that are described by the theory of relativity.

2. How is average energy calculated for an ultra-relativistic gas?

The average energy for an ultra-relativistic gas is calculated using the formula E(T) = 3/2 * k * T, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature of the gas in Kelvin. This equation takes into account the high speeds and kinetic energy of the particles in an ultra-relativistic gas.

3. What factors affect the average energy of an ultra-relativistic gas?

The average energy of an ultra-relativistic gas is affected by the temperature of the gas, the number of particles present, and the type of particles in the gas. For example, a gas with a higher temperature will have a higher average energy, and a gas with more particles will also have a higher average energy.

4. How does the average energy of an ultra-relativistic gas change with temperature?

The average energy of an ultra-relativistic gas is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. This means that as the temperature increases, the average energy of the gas also increases. This is because higher temperatures lead to faster particle speeds and more kinetic energy.

5. What is the significance of the average energy of an ultra-relativistic gas?

The average energy of an ultra-relativistic gas is an important quantity in understanding the behavior of this type of gas. It provides insight into the energy distribution of the gas particles and can be used to calculate other properties such as pressure and heat capacity. Additionally, studying the average energy can help scientists make predictions about the behavior of ultra-relativistic gases in various environments.