Ultimate fate of ISS (International Space Station)

In summary, the ISS will eventually re-enter the Earth's atmosphere and burn up. I recall that back in 1979 Skylab fell back to Earth and showered debris over a large area. It's never too early to plan ahead... Any thoughts on when ISS will come down and how it will be handled?
sysreset
Eventually ISS will re-enter the Earth's atmosphere and burn up, I assume. I recall that back in 1979 Skylab fell back to Earth and showered debris over a large area. It's never too early to plan ahead... Any thoughts on when ISS will come down and how it will be handled? This question enters my mind every time I see them installing another multi-ton module onto it.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It was part of the launch plan that it could be deorbited succesfully with 99% certainty of less than 1:10,000 chance of a casualty.
So how do you design a space station so that it can be de-orbitted in a chaotic flight path into a turbulent atmosphere at hypersonic velocities with 1:10,000 chance of hitting someone?

Basically they fold the solar panels and point it at the middle of the pacific.

Last edited:
The ISS could be kept in orbit indefinitely with an occasional boost. I don't foresee it being abandoned any time soon, but, replacing and jettisoning older parts of the station into the pacific is an option.

Assuming funding yes - the current plan is to complete it in 2010 as the shuttle retires and dump it in 2016. Other opinioins are that it will be a rush to complete it in time to dump it!

The Nasa technical report on end of life is available at
http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=9794&page=R1

I am surprised that it could be dumped only 6 years after completion, or even less if completion is delayed or funding is cut. And the "spray" of debris could be huge. Skylab was much smaller and it's footprint included the Indian Ocean and Western Australia.

sysreset said:
I am surprised that it could be dumped only 6 years after completion, or even less if completion is delayed or funding is cut.
It's served it's purpose already. It ensured that a lot of aerospace companies didn't go bust after the end of the coldwar

Skylab was much smaller and it's footprint included the Indian Ocean and Western Australia.
But this time it was determined that there was only a 1:10,000 chance of a casualty so it's alright.

Related to Ultimate fate of ISS (International Space Station)

1. What is the current status of the ISS?

The ISS is currently in operation and has been continuously inhabited since November 2000. It is a joint project between five space agencies: NASA, Roscosmos, JAXA, ESA, and CSA.

2. How long will the ISS remain in orbit?

The current plan is for the ISS to remain in orbit until at least 2024. However, this could be extended if necessary.

3. What will happen to the ISS after it is decommissioned?

After the ISS is decommissioned, it will be deorbited and will burn up in the Earth's atmosphere. This is done to avoid any potential hazards from the large structure falling to Earth.

4. Will any parts of the ISS be salvaged or used for future projects?

Some components of the ISS, such as the solar panels and other hardware, may be salvaged and used for future space projects. However, the majority of the ISS will be destroyed during reentry.

5. What is the purpose of decommissioning the ISS?

Decommissioning the ISS allows for resources to be allocated towards newer and more advanced space projects. It also ensures the safety of the Earth's atmosphere by removing a large man-made structure from orbit.