UK Physics Undergrad - does it matter which uni?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student trying to decide which university to attend for a physics degree, specifically in the West or East Midlands. They question whether the university choice truly matters as long as they get good grades and if it will limit their options for a PhD program. The general consensus is that while the university choice may matter to a certain extent, as long as they aim for a red brick university, they should have a good chance at getting into a good PhD program. Some suggestions for universities in the Midlands are Birmingham, Nottingham, and Warwick.
streeters
UK Physics Undergrad - does it matter which uni?

I'm want to study physics at uni next year and am still trying to decide which uni is best for me to go to. I want to stay in the West or East Midlands (family reasons).

1) Does it really matter which uni I go to, as long as i get good grades?

2) Does it limit my choices of where I could do a PhD afterwards? Do Wolverhampton graduates get to do PhD's at Warwick or Oxford?

I don't really want to take notice of snobbery, but if the rest of the world pays attention to it I'd be an idiot not to.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org

1) There's an obvious collection of 'good places' and 'bad'. The difference between say Oxford and Cambridge will depend quite a bit on what you will be doing specifically, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. There's an across the board difference between say Imperial and Aston. If you're looking at A's in the maths and sciences you'll get into a good university even if it's not Oxbridge.

2. Not really. Cambridge often tend to get many of their PhD students from within their own 4th years (particularly theoretical physics). Other universities get students from all over. I know people who did their undergrads at Bristol, Durham, Bath, Exeter, Imperial and obviously Oxbridge who now do theoretical physics PhDs. The less maths based stuff tends to be more open, there's no so much of a monopoly of Oxbridge and Durham graduates outside of theoretical physics, as is my impression. Theoretical physics just wants buckets of maths.

Hey Streeter. What grades are you expected at A-Level that will help you gain some idea, I am in a very similar position to yourself!

streeters said:
I'm want to study physics at uni next year and am still trying to decide which uni is best for me to go to. I want to stay in the West or East Midlands (family reasons).
Look at Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick.

1) Does it really matter which uni I go to, as long as i get good grades?
Yes, but as Alphanumeric says, only to a point. If you aim to get into a red brick university, then it doesn't really matter which one.
2) Does it limit my choices of where I could do a PhD afterwards? Do Wolverhampton graduates get to do PhD's at Warwick or Oxford?
Again, if you graduate from a red brick university, then there's no reason you shouldn't get into one of the red brick PhD programmes (provided you get a first, or maybe a high 2:1). It all depends what specific field you want to go into, though.

Leicester University, is quite high in the rankings, but for some reason they ask for low entry grades. BBC, now I can't think of why that would be other than the fact that they can't get people to go there. If you get an A at A-Level you also get a £1000 bursary which again seems crazy. Warwick and Birmingham are probably the best Universities for physics in the Midlands, or at least that is my opinion.

Related to UK Physics Undergrad - does it matter which uni?

What factors should I consider when choosing a university for studying physics in the UK?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a university for studying physics in the UK include the reputation and ranking of the university, the quality of the physics department, the availability of specialized research facilities, the location and campus environment, and the potential for networking and career opportunities.

How much does the university choice affect job opportunities in the field of physics?

The university you attend can have a significant impact on your job opportunities in the field of physics. Employers often look for graduates from reputable and highly ranked universities, as well as those with strong research experience and connections. However, it is also important to note that your own skills, experience, and personal qualities play a crucial role in job opportunities.

Is it better to study physics at a prestigious university or at a smaller, less well-known institution?

There is no clear-cut answer to this question. Prestigious universities often have well-established physics departments and offer a wider range of research opportunities and networking opportunities. However, smaller universities may provide a more personalized and hands-on learning experience, with smaller class sizes and more opportunities for direct interaction with professors. Ultimately, it is important to choose a university that aligns with your academic and career goals.

Will studying at a certain university give me an advantage when applying for graduate school?

Attending a reputable and well-respected university for your undergraduate studies can certainly give you an advantage when applying for graduate school. Admissions committees often consider the reputation and ranking of the university, as well as the quality of the physics department, when evaluating applicants. However, it is important to note that your GPA, research experience, and personal statement also play a significant role in the graduate school application process.

How can I find out more about the physics department at a particular university?

There are a few ways to research and gather information about a university’s physics department. You can visit the university’s website, attend open days or virtual fairs, reach out to current students or alumni, or read reviews and rankings from reputable sources. You can also contact the physics department directly and ask about their research focus, faculty, facilities, and opportunities for undergraduate students.