Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Udder-class introduction

We wish to see a return of the Xmas hottie

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moo

Feb 12, 2012
Hallo ol'pals ! And hallo to those I don't know too !

Well, I'm a lovely, not too lonely, cow. What's moore ? I've left pure maths around 3 years ago and went through an actuarial curriculum that I'm finishing this year. But my love for probability theory is still there and that added to the people here is probably the thing that maintains me in such a math community.

Otherwise, I love grass, grass from loads of countries, even in France where I'm from. Ironically, I don't really like food based on milk, but I loooooove food, probably as much as probability (Mmm)

I'm usually talkative, but in this message I've tried to be short. So if you have any other question...

See ya

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Hallo ol'pals ! And hallo to those I don't know too !

Well, I'm a lovely, not too lonely, cow. What's moore ? I've left pure maths around 3 years ago and went through an actuarial curriculum that I'm finishing this year. But my love for probability theory is still there and that added to the people here is probably the thing that maintains me in such a math community.

Otherwise, I love grass, grass from loads of countries, even in France where I'm from. Ironically, I don't really like food based on milk, but I loooooove food, probably as much as probability (Mmm)

I'm usually talkative, but in this message I've tried to be short. So if you have any other question...

See ya
Avatar is confusing me, makes me think you are someone else!

CB

Moo

Feb 12, 2012
Want me to go back to the Xmas hottie ? :D

Moo

Feb 12, 2012

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I'm curious as to what are the qualifications necessary to work as an actuary in France, if that's where you are working. Here there are a series of 7 exams in all and some more after that perhaps, but you only need 2-3 to begin work. What's it like over there?

Moo

Feb 12, 2012
I'm curious as to what are the qualifications necessary to work as an actuary in France, if that's where you are working. Here there are a series of 7 exams in all and some more after that perhaps, but you only need 2-3 to begin work. What's it like over there?
Yeah I'm quite aware of the US system, but it's pretty different in France. There's no problem for one to do the same work as an actuary but if you're not recognized by the French equivalent to the SOA, the salary isn't the same (as well as the speed of getting a higher position).
In order to be an associate actuary of the French SOA, you need to pursue a degree in one of the 10 organisms ('schools', universities, curriculum for people who already work). For each of them there are conditions. For schools and universities, which are at least 2 years long, you need an average of 60% on a year-long period (in the final year(s), and this is no easy task) and you need to defend a thesis with a subject related to actuarial science (insurance, finance, ...), and generally related to your end of study internship.
For the curriculum made for people who already have some professional experience in actuarial science, you can go through it by spending 2/3 days a week, or your evenings going to courses. There's also a thesis to defend but I'm not aware of all the conditions.

Are you considering working in France ? :D It has the advantage of being nearer to Russia than the US :D

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Wow, it sounds like initially it's much easier to begin work here. In theory you don't need any sort of degree if you can pass the exams. The pay here is really good and only gets better. It's one of those professions that seems like it should be incredibly popular but isn't, over here at least. Everyone wants to be a lawyer even though there are way too many but most people don't even know what an actuary is.

Are you considering working in France ? :D It has the advantage of being nearer to Russia than the US :D
I hadn't thought about it, haha. My French is absolutely horrible, even though I spent 6 years "studying" it in middle and high school, as well as visiting Paris for a couple weeks. I'm American so even speaking one foreign language is amazing for us. :cool:

Do you ever work with American actuaries or somehow contact with them? I'd like to work internationally but it seems like every country has its own qualifications.

Moo

Feb 12, 2012
I hadn't thought about it, haha. My French is absolutely horrible, even though I spent 6 years "studying" it in middle and high school, as well as visiting Paris for a couple weeks. I'm American so even speaking one foreign language is amazing for us. :cool:
French people have the same reputation :D
It's true that it's not easy when you don't speak French, since not many people here can speak a decent English lol.

Do you ever work with American actuaries or somehow contact with them? I'd like to work internationally but it seems like every country has its own qualifications.
I'm still a student, an intern :) but I'm in an international firm, although my team can be led to dialogue with UK actuaries. Never heard of American ones. But I'd love to ! So quick, be an actuary :D
Yes, unfortunately every country has its one rules. However, the US title of actuary is much easier to sell abroad than the French one. For example in Singapore, I think they ask people to write the US SOA's exams.