Ubuntu 11.04 Server Login Problems

In summary: If there is an error with the password, that might be where it's happening.In summary, when trying to login to the system as the only user, the password is invalidated and the monitor turns off for a second then turns back on. This happens when trying to login as either the default user or another user.
natski
Hi all,

I bought my first server recently preinstalled with Ubuntu 11.04 Server. To my surprise, there was no GUI so I installed a GUI using sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

After startup, I get a login screen with options 'default user', 'other user' and 'guest'. When I click default user and type in a random (i.e. wrong) password a message flashes up that the password is invalid as expected. When I type in the correct password for the only user registered on the system the monitor turns off for a second then turns back on with the same screen as before on. i.e. there is no 'invalid password' message or anything. The same thing happens when I click 'other user' and type in my username and password.

As a result, I can't login! The only way I can get in is a guest but then I can't sudo anything or really do anything on the system, so it's useless.

What's going on here?

natski

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Can you check the log files and see if there is anything relevant?
I'm thinking in particular ~/.xsession-errors or - if that doesn't help - /var/log/syslog.

It might be something like a missing or incorrectly installed window manager (something with X11, LDM or Gnome)

natski said:
Hi all,

I bought my first server recently preinstalled with Ubuntu 11.04 Server. To my surprise, there was no GUI so I installed a GUI using sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Ubuntu server is headless.

natski said:
After startup, I get a login screen with options 'default user', 'other user' and 'guest'. When I click default user and type in a random (i.e. wrong) password a message flashes up that the password is invalid as expected. When I type in the correct password for the only user registered on the system the monitor turns off for a second then turns back on with the same screen as before on. i.e. there is no 'invalid password' message or anything. The same thing happens when I click 'other user' and type in my username and password.

As a result, I can't login! The only way I can get in is a guest but then I can't sudo anything or really do anything on the system, so it's useless.

What's going on here?

natski

Can you log in using your username/password on another TTY? (e.g. CTRL + ALT + F1) Or use SSH?

Also, maybe look at dmesg.

1. Why am I unable to log in to Ubuntu 11.04 server?

There could be several reasons for login problems on Ubuntu 11.04 server. It could be due to incorrect login credentials, a network issue, or a software/hardware problem. Troubleshooting the issue by checking for any error messages and verifying login credentials is a good place to start.

2. How can I reset my password on Ubuntu 11.04 server?

If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it by booting into recovery mode and using the "passwd" command to reset the password. You will need to have root access or sudo privileges to do this. Alternatively, you can use a live CD to reset the password.

3. Can I change the default login shell on Ubuntu 11.04 server?

Yes, the default login shell on Ubuntu 11.04 server is Bash, but you can change it to a different shell such as Zsh or Fish. To do this, you will need to use the "chsh" command and specify the path to the desired shell.

4. How do I troubleshoot network connection issues on Ubuntu 11.04 server?

If you are unable to log in to Ubuntu 11.04 server due to a network issue, you can troubleshoot it by checking your network settings, restarting the network service, or using tools like ping or traceroute to test network connectivity. You may also need to check your firewall settings and make sure they are not blocking the network connection.

5. Is it possible to disable the login password on Ubuntu 11.04 server?

Yes, you can disable the login password on Ubuntu 11.04 server by modifying the "nullok" option in the "/etc/pam.d/common-auth" file. However, this is not recommended for security reasons as it leaves your server vulnerable to unauthorized access.