U Tube: Find Height Shift Due to Rotation

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary, the difference in liquid levels in the two limbs of a U tube can be found by equating the force due to rotation with the hydrostatic force. Using this method, the difference in levels can be calculated as \frac{\omega^2 L^2}{2g}. Alternatively, Bernoulli's law can also be used to find the difference in levels.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

A U tube of uniform cross sectional area A and base length 'L' contains a liquid of density "p". It is rotated about one of its vertical limbs with constant angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex]. If the diameter of the tube is small compared to the base length, find the difference in levels of liquids in the to limbs.

The Attempt at a Solution

the shift will be because of the force exerted by the rotation on the liquid contained in the base.
I integrate to find this force [I am not posting the integration, because I think its right, if your answer dos not match with mine, tell me I will post my working on this integration.]
The force on the liquid in th base=[tex]\frac{Ap\omega^{2}L^{2}}{2}[/tex]

Now the work done by this force = change in potential energy due to rise of liquid in one limb
[tex]\frac{Ap\omega^{2}L^{2}}{2} * h = \frac{AP h^{2}g}{2}[/tex]

Is this step right to find "h"?
I was also thinking what is the net work done on water. Is it zero, because the rise in one limb=fall in the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about the work, but you could most easily equate the force due to rotation with the force due to difference in liquid heights (Newton's 3rd law). Further, there's no need to integrate, because Bernoulli's law gives in this situation
[tex]P = \frac{\rho v^2}{2} = \frac{\rho (\omega L)^2}{2}[/tex]

Irid said:
I'm not sure about the work, but you could most easily equate the force due to rotation with the force due to difference in liquid heights (Newton's 3rd law). Further, there's no need to integrate, because Bernoulli's law gives in this situation
[tex]P = \frac{\rho v^2}{2} = \frac{\rho (\omega L)^2}{2}[/tex]

Sorry friend, but I can't make out what you said. I haven't studied Bernoulli yet. Please help m with my own method, thanks

What I said is

[tex]F_{\text{rotation}} = F_{\text{\hidrostatic}}[/tex]

or,

[tex]\frac{\rho \omega^2 L^2}{2} = \rho g \Delta h[/tex]

[tex]\Delta h = \frac{\omega^2 L^2}{2g}[/tex]

Your method is a little fishy, because the force you're talking about is actually horizontal, and you apply it for calculating work, which was done in vertical motion. If you want to do energy conservation, fine, I think it's possible, but I'm not sure how.

Related to U Tube: Find Height Shift Due to Rotation

1. How does rotation affect the height of a U-tube?

The rotation of the U-tube causes a shift in the height of the liquid in the two arms. This shift is due to the centrifugal force acting on the liquid, pushing it towards the outer edge of the rotating tube.

2. What factors influence the magnitude of the height shift in a U-tube due to rotation?

The magnitude of the height shift depends on the angular velocity of the U-tube, the density of the liquid, and the distance between the center of rotation and the liquid's surface.

3. Can the height shift in a U-tube be used to measure the angular velocity?

Yes, the height shift can be used to determine the angular velocity of the U-tube. By measuring the height shift and knowing the other influencing factors, the angular velocity can be calculated using the equation for centrifugal force.

4. Is the height shift in a U-tube due to rotation affected by the shape of the tube?

Yes, the shape of the U-tube can affect the height shift. A longer tube or a tube with a larger radius will have a greater height shift compared to a shorter or smaller radius tube, respectively.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the height shift in a U-tube due to rotation?

The height shift in a U-tube due to rotation is used in various applications, such as centrifuges, gyroscopes, and fluid mechanics experiments. It also has applications in determining the rotation rate of celestial bodies and in understanding the Coriolis effect.