Typesetting Software for Macbook: Any Recommendations?

In summary, Casey is looking for typesetting software to use with her Macbook and has found that MacTeX and LyX are both available and have good user interfaces. Casey also recommends BibDesk, which is installed with MacTeX, for tracking references and PDFs.
Saladsamurai
I would like to get some kind of typesetting software for my Macbook. Anyone use one on theirs who could point me in the right direction? If possible, keep the technical terms to a minimum:redface: I get lost in them easily ;)

Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
:smile::smile:

las3rjock said:

I assume that package comes with this so-called 'editor' that I need? Keep in mind I have no idea what I am talking about:confused:

My favorite program is LyX. LyX will basically do all the LaTeX formatting for you, and is sort a cross between a what you see is what you get and a what you see is what you mean.

Of course, if you want to just do raw LaTeXing then just go for TeXShop.

Saladsamurai said:
I assume that package comes with this so-called 'editor' that I need? Keep in mind I have no idea what I am talking about:confused:

I downloaded and installed this. It looks hella complicated.:smile: Now I need to find a tutorial!

1) MacTeX is the way to go (it is an easy install)
2) LyX is also the way to go (download and install this)
3) If you do any research, use BibDesk (after installing MacTeX go to finder > applications > TeX > BibDesk). It installs with MacTeX and is great for tracking PDF's and all the information to cite.
4) LyX is awesome with BibDesk, you can basically attach a file you create with BibDesk, and use a menu, and it will automatically create the BibTeX. This becomes a MUST when you have a lot of references to cite.

OSX is great by the way... (I'm a recent convert) ;-)

FrogPad said:
1) MacTeX is the way to go (it is an easy install)
2) LyX is also the way to go (download and install this)
3) If you do any research, use BibDesk (after installing MacTeX go to finder > applications > TeX > BibDesk). It installs with MacTeX and is great for tracking PDF's and all the information to cite.
4) LyX is awesome with BibDesk, you can basically attach a file you create with BibDesk, and use a menu, and it will automatically create the BibTeX. This becomes a MUST when you have a lot of references to cite.

OSX is great by the way... (I'm a recent convert) ;-)

Glad I downloaded the right one. I still have yet to figure out what it all means though.

If you have any problems, keep this thread alive.

On a side note, I just put 4GB of memory into my macbook. OSX works sooo much better. With Spaces, I can keep a screen open with MATLAB, another with LyX, another with Mathematica (which I don't do as often -- but sometimes), and most importantly PDF's (for research articles). OSX loves PDF's.

I really prefer this workflow over Windows.

I posted some tutorials for you in the other thread, but they deal most of all with the language of LaTeX. How your tex-editor works you must find out for yourself;)

When the tutorials talk about compiling and doing pdf's they don't assume that you have an editor, so they tell you how to compile and create pdf's in your command-central (DOS in Windows for example). So you have to learn, at least how to create new projects, save, and compile and create pdf's with your editor. The rest is written in the tutorials I posted you. Also as kurt said, try find templates and similar, it is very useful to learn from other peoples tex-files.

las3rjock said:

Cool. Thanks guys! I got a bunch of stuff with the package. I know that an editor is in there somewhere, but I don't know which folder it is!

The link above is what I downloaded. I'll have to look around my hard drive. I am used to software self-installing shortcuts and what not!

Last edited:
I use TeXShop and the LaTeX Equation Editor.

It looks like TeXShop is a part of the MacTex distribution.

The LaTeX Equation Editor is a nice little tool that I use to write single equations that are to be placed in something normally inhospitable to TeX such as a PowerPoint presentation. A link: http://evolve.lse.ac.uk/software/EquationEditor/

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I have been messing with with TexShop a little bit. Anyone know of any good websites or forums where I could find...well...like a chart or some sort of references to the most popular templates and characters.

Like a how to type of place?

Saladsamurai said:
Okay, so I have been messing with with TexShop a little bit. Anyone know of any good websites or forums where I could find...well...like a chart or some sort of references to the most popular templates and characters.

Like a how to type of place?

I gave you two very good references on LaTeX in the other tread that you and I discussed.

If you send me a private message with your mail, I'll mail you some more references that I have plus some of my own tex-files so you can see some examples.

malawi_glenn said:
I gave you two very good references on LaTeX in the other tread that you and I discussed.

If you send me a private message with your mail, I'll mail you some more references that I have plus some of my own tex-files so you can see some examples.

Oh! Thanks! Those references were actually directed towars MayDay, the OP, so I thought for some reason that they did not apply to Macs. But, now that I think about it, that was a retarded thought!

I am going to start rummaging through them today.

Thanks again
Casey

As we said, LaTeX (the language) is the same on all OS, but the inteprentor from tex to pdf differs.

Send me a private message with your mail and I'll give you more stuff if you want=)

Related to Typesetting Software for Macbook: Any Recommendations?

What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting system commonly used for creating scientific and technical documents. It uses a markup language to format text and equations, allowing for professional-looking documents with complex mathematical equations.

Why would someone use LaTeX on OS X?

LaTeX is popular among scientists and researchers because it allows for precise and consistent formatting of documents, making it ideal for academic writing. OS X is a popular operating system among scientists and researchers, and LaTeX is available for use on this platform.

Is LaTeX difficult to learn?

As with any new software or language, there is a learning curve when first using LaTeX. However, with a good understanding of the basics, it is easy to create simple documents. More complex formatting and features may require some additional learning and practice.

Are there any alternatives to using LaTeX on OS X?

Yes, there are other typesetting software programs available for use on OS X, such as Microsoft Word or Adobe InDesign. However, LaTeX is preferred by many scientists and researchers for its advanced features and precise formatting capabilities.

Is LaTeX compatible with other operating systems?

Yes, LaTeX is compatible with a variety of operating systems, including Windows and Linux. This allows for easy collaboration and document sharing among users with different operating systems.