Types of transformers used in LCD backlights

In summary: I don't knowIn summary, piezoelectric transformers are not commonly used in LCD monitors because they typically use a high voltage and low current ferrite cored transformer. CCFL backlit monitors without a built in PSU use piezo to create the high voltage.
KarlH
How common are piezoelectric transformers in computer LCDs?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know

None of the dozens of different types of LCD monitors I have dismantled have had piezoelectric transformers
they have all been the typical low profile high voltage low current ferrite cored transformers

Likes KarlH
davenn -- how many of those were CCFL backlit? I think that's the only type that would use piezo to create the high voltage. (I don't know the answer as to how often they are used in CCFL monitors)

Likes KarlH
meBigGuy said:
davenn -- how many of those were CCFL backlit? I think that's the only type that would use piezo to create the high voltage. (I don't know the answer as to how often they are used in CCFL monitors)

just call me Dave :smile: ... I have used davenn as a user name all over the net since the early to mid 1990's the 2 x n's are the first and last letters of my surname

they were all CCFL, the LED backlit ones ( of which I have stripped dozens) of course don't need HV PSU's ... but what a wonderful source of strips of LEDs !

mite do a couple of pix tomorrow if I get a chance to show the transformers in the CCFL type I work on

Dave

Likes meBigGuy and KarlH
davenn said:
None of the dozens of different types of LCD monitors I have dismantled have had piezoelectric transformers
they have all been the typical low profile high voltage low current ferrite cored transformers

Thanks much :smile:

davenn said:
they were all CCFL, the LED backlit ones ( of which I have stripped dozens) of course don't need HV PSU's ... but what a wonderful source of strips of LEDs !

So panels with LED backlights run at the same voltage/amperage as the output from the AC/DC converter?

davenn said:
mite do a couple of pix tomorrow if I get a chance to show the transformers in the CCFL type I work on

I was going to ask if anyone had a part number or two so that I could look up dimensions, but a picture would be even cooler :smile:

KarlH said:
So panels with LED backlights run at the same voltage/amperage as the output from the AC/DC converter?

They have their own sub-PSU off the main PSU for the screen

KarlH said:
I was going to ask if anyone had a part number or two so that I could look up dimensions, but a picture would be even cooler :smile:

there's just too many variations to do that

davenn said:
there's just too many variations to do that
Oh, I didn't mean that at all.

I used to work in a laboratory that did a lot of spindle error motion testing using capacitance gauges. We were worried about errors in the low single digit nanometers (and sometimes low double-digit picometers), so EMI was a concern. Even when the target was buried in a probe nest made of 1-2" thick 414 stainless, we would often see a blip at 60Hz on the FFT.

A while ago I read an article comparing piezo and magnetic transformers in CCFL LCDs, and that made me wonder whether we were missing a source of interference in all of those tests (since it could be at a different frequency). The FFT cutoff was often set to 100Hz, since there hadn't been much beyond that in earlier tests, but if the internal PSU in the display that sat right next to the probe nest ran at a higher frequency, we would have been blind to it. (I'd be pretty embarrassed if that were the case.)

Last edited:
KarlH said:
A while ago I read an article comparing piezo and magnetic transformers in CCFL LCDs, and that made me wonder whether we were missing a source of interference in all of those tests (since it could be at a different frequency). The FFT cutoff was often set to 100Hz, since there hadn't been much beyond that in earlier tests, but if the internal PSU in the display that sat right next to the probe nest ran at a higher frequency, we would have been blind to it. (I'd be pretty embarrassed if that were the case.)

interesting, As far as I'm aware I have never seen a piezo type transformer

Just knowing that there will be magnetic transformers in the enclosure is a good start. Thanks.

does anyone have a datasheet for one of these single layer piezo transformers? specifically the SMSTF150P1S7

Last edited:

Related to Types of transformers used in LCD backlights

1. What are the main types of transformers used in LCD backlights?

The main types of transformers used in LCD backlights are flyback transformers, boost transformers, and coupled inductors.

2. What is a flyback transformer and how does it work in an LCD backlight?

A flyback transformer is a type of transformer that stores energy in its magnetic field and releases it in a high-voltage pulse. It works in an LCD backlight by converting the low-voltage DC power from the power supply into the high-voltage AC power needed to power the backlight.

3. How does a boost transformer contribute to the functioning of an LCD backlight?

A boost transformer is used to increase the voltage of the power supply, ensuring that the backlight receives a stable and sufficient level of power. It is typically used in conjunction with a flyback transformer to regulate the output voltage.

4. What are coupled inductors and how do they differ from other types of transformers used in LCD backlights?

Coupled inductors, also known as coupled coils, are two or more inductors that are magnetically coupled together. They are used in LCD backlights to provide a stable and efficient power supply, and they differ from other transformers in that they have multiple windings and are designed for specific applications.

5. Are there any safety considerations to keep in mind when working with transformers used in LCD backlights?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the power supply and transformers are properly rated and designed for use in LCD backlights. It is also important to follow proper handling and installation procedures to avoid electrical hazards. It is recommended to consult a professional or follow manufacturer guidelines when working with transformers for LCD backlights.