Types of eddy current couplings

In summary, an eddy current coupling is a non-contact magnetic coupling used to transfer torque between rotating components. There are two main types: fixed and adjustable, with additional hybrid options. Eddy current couplings work by inducing eddy currents in a conductive material, creating a magnetic field that transfers torque between components. They have advantages such as non-contact design, high torque transfer capability, compact size, and no mechanical backlash. Common applications include industrial machines, automotive systems, and torque measurement/control in test rigs.
nothing909

Homework Statement

I have a really simple question, state two types of eddy current couplings and state a flexible coupling, but I've been googling it for the last half an hour and can't find an answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone tell me two types of eddy current couplings? I know the flexible couplings.

Physics news on Phys.org
Search using these key words :

Eddy current clutches .

Eddy current torque transmission .

Eddy current brakes .

I literally can't find anything. You type in "flexible couplings" and it gives you many but it doesn't say anything about types of eddy current couplings...

Related to Types of eddy current couplings

1. What is an eddy current coupling?

An eddy current coupling is a type of non-contact magnetic coupling used to transfer torque between two rotating components without any physical connection. It works by inducing eddy currents in a conductive material, creating a magnetic field that can transfer torque to a nearby component.

2. What are the types of eddy current couplings?

There are two main types of eddy current couplings: fixed and adjustable. Fixed couplings have a constant air gap, while adjustable couplings allow for varying air gaps to adjust the torque transfer. Additionally, there are also hybrid eddy current couplings which combine the benefits of both fixed and adjustable couplings.

3. How do eddy current couplings work?

Eddy current couplings work by using a magnetic field to transfer torque between two components. The primary component has a rotating magnetic field, while the secondary component has a conductive material that experiences induced eddy currents. These currents then create their own magnetic field, which interacts with the primary field and transfers torque between the components.

4. What are the advantages of using eddy current couplings?

Eddy current couplings have several advantages over other types of couplings. They are non-contact, which means there is no physical connection between the components, reducing wear and maintenance. They also have a high torque transfer capability, are relatively compact, and have no mechanical backlash.

5. What are some common applications of eddy current couplings?

Eddy current couplings are commonly used in industrial machines and equipment, such as pumps, compressors, and turbines. They are also used in automotive applications, such as in hybrid and electric vehicles, as well as in power transmission systems for renewable energy sources like wind turbines. Additionally, eddy current couplings are used in test rigs and dynamometers for torque measurement and control.