Types of commutators in DC machine

In summary, there are two types of commutators in a DC machine - brushed and brushless. The type of commutator used can have an effect on the current density.
maliksunny
1. Types off commutator and their effect on current densit?

[b.]2I want to ask how many types of commutators are there in a DC machine and what is their effect on current density..[\b]

3.i have been working on it for a long time and came to know tht there are two types
Brushed and Brushless
guide me![\b]

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
maliksunny said:
1. Types off commutator and their effect on current densit?

[b.]2I want to ask how many types of commutators are there in a DC machine and what is their effect on current density..[\b]

3.i have been working on it for a long time and came to know tht there are two types
Brushed and Brushless
guide me![\b]

thanks

Search engines can be your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutator_(electric )

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Types of commutators in DC machine

What are the different types of commutators in DC machines?

The three main types of commutators in DC machines are radial, drum, and segmental commutators. Radial commutators are the most commonly used type and have a cylindrical shape with radial segments. Drum commutators have a drum-like shape and are used in larger DC machines. Segmental commutators have a segmented design and are used in small DC machines.

What is the function of a commutator in a DC machine?

The main function of a commutator in a DC machine is to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). It does this by reversing the direction of current flow in the armature coil as it rotates, ensuring a steady flow of DC current to the external circuit.

How does a commutator work in a DC machine?

A commutator works by reversing the direction of current flow in the armature coil as it rotates. This is achieved through the use of brushes that make contact with the segments of the commutator, switching the direction of current flow every half rotation.

What are the advantages of using a commutator in a DC machine?

The use of a commutator in a DC machine allows for the conversion of AC to DC, making it suitable for various applications such as electric motors and generators. It also helps to maintain a constant direction of current flow, resulting in a smoother and more efficient operation of the machine.

Can a commutator in a DC machine be repaired or replaced?

Yes, a commutator in a DC machine can be repaired or replaced if it becomes worn or damaged. This is typically done by a trained professional who will clean, polish, and replace any worn out segments or brushes to ensure the proper functioning of the machine.