Type of image from an afocal optical system

In summary, an afocal system can produce real images of extended objects, regardless of whether the emerging rays are parallel or diverging. The human eye is required to focus the rays and form the image on the retina. There are two types of afocal systems: Keppler with two positive lenses and Lagruerre with one positive and one negative lens.
fisico30
Hello Forum,

what type of image does an afocal system produce if the object is an extended object? A real or virtual image?
Any example? Say a car is located 30 meters away...
Thanks
fisico30

Science news on Phys.org
I just found a book chapter, AFOCAL SYSTEMS, by William B. Wetherell...

It seems that afocal system can form real images...but how, if the emerging rays are parallel?

fisico30

I guess this systems always imply that the human eye is there...that is the only way an image will form: each point on the object will have parallel rays emerging from the system.
The eye optical system will focus those bundles of rays on the retina and form a real image...

The only afocal systems I am familiar with are telescopes; an eyepiece is required to form an image.

Well, I was wrong in what I said.

If the object is very far, the input rays are parallel and the output rays are parallel too.
But if the object is close by, the rays entering the afocal system are diverging. Real images are possible. Moving the object along the axis does not change the transverse magnification, i.e. the image size...

See figure 1D at http://www.mntp.pitt.edu/Workshop/MNTP_Prtcp_res_2010/teaching/Optics_Chapter_95_LanniKeller.pdf

thanks,
fisico30

Last edited by a moderator:
An image from afocal system always is real. 2 types afocal; Keppler with 2 positive lens and Lagruerre with 1 positive len + 1 negative len, but f of positive always > f of negative.

Related to Type of image from an afocal optical system

1. What is an afocal optical system?

An afocal optical system is a type of optical system in which the object and image are located at infinity. This means that the light rays entering the system are parallel and do not converge or diverge. This type of system is commonly used in telescopes and binoculars.

2. How does an afocal optical system produce an image?

An afocal optical system produces an image by using lenses to magnify the object being viewed. The lenses in the system are arranged in such a way that the light rays entering the system are parallel, allowing for a clear and magnified image to be formed at the eyepiece.

3. What are the advantages of an afocal optical system?

One advantage of an afocal optical system is that it allows for high magnification without the need for a long focal length. This makes it ideal for compact devices such as binoculars. Additionally, the parallel light rays ensure a clear and undistorted image.

4. Are there any limitations to using an afocal optical system?

One limitation of an afocal optical system is that it is only suitable for viewing objects at infinity. This means that it is not ideal for viewing objects at varying distances, as the image will not be in focus. Additionally, the use of multiple lenses can lead to chromatic aberration, affecting the quality of the image.

5. How is an afocal optical system different from other types of optical systems?

An afocal optical system differs from other types of optical systems in that it does not have a focal point. This means that the image is formed at infinity, rather than at a specific distance. Additionally, an afocal system does not have any moving parts, making it more durable and less prone to mechanical failure.