Two's Complement Binary Addition

In summary: Re: AdditionIn summary, HallsofIvy provided no help whatsoever. He was just asking me what I was actually asking.
shamieh
(Envy)

I understand

1 0 1 0
+1 1 0 1
_________

=0 0 0

1 0 1 0
1 1 0 1
________
0 1 1 1

which becomes 1000

BUT, how does

1 0 1 0
+0 0 1 0
_________

not become
1 0 1 0

1 0 1 0
+ 0 0 1 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Re: Addition

We need more information. My first guess was that this was binary addition, but then (1010)+ (1101)= 10111 and (1010)+ (0010)= 1100. Is this a "twos complement" notation?

Solved

Last edited:

shamieh said:
Solved

Please DO NOT remove content from a post after help has been given. This devalues a topic, and voids the time given by the people trying to help.

This is prohibited by MHB rule #7:

Do not edit or delete questions after getting help. When a user edits or deletes a question after getting help, the context of the help is subverted and the thread becomes difficult for other members to follow. Moderators will close threads vandalised in this way, restore the deleted question, and the infract the offending member. The material posted on MHB is a body of knowledge that is a valuable resource for everyone. It is unacceptable to vandalize this resource. Note that a member who deletes a question after getting help casts suspicion of cheating upon themselves. Be careful what you post. Once you post a question or information, it will remain viewable to all members of the public - this includes all staff and students of the institute at which you may study - and may show up on search engines such as Google. It is good etiquette, if you mark your thread as [SOLVED], to post your solution so that others searching MHB will be able to see the solution, and not waste their search time.

I am using discretion here to not lock the topic nor issue an infraction, as I feel you were simply not aware of this policy, nor are you trying to cheat.

Lol HallsofIvy provided no help whatsoever. He was just asking me what I was actually asking. That's why i put solved. I figured out the problem by myself. But I will take note of this rule and adhere to it for the future.

-Sham

shamieh said:
...HallsofIvy provided no help whatsoever. He was just asking me what I was actually asking. That's why i put solved. I figured out the problem by myself. But I will take note of this rule and adhere to it for the future.

-Sham

When a question is unclear, then a good helper will ask for clarification...and this is actually an attempt or effort made to help, because before someone can offer good help, they must understand exactly what is being asked. HallsofIvy has a lot of experience giving help on math forums and so he knows it is better to get clarification than to try to give help based on assumption and interpretation. This can lead to wasted time and effort...something I learned the hard way. :D

It also help make MHB a more informative place, since future readers of the topic will also have no doubt about what is being discussed.

Related to Two's Complement Binary Addition

What is Two's Complement Binary Addition?

Two's Complement Binary Addition is a method used in digital electronics and computing to represent and perform arithmetic operations on negative numbers. It is based on the binary number system, where each digit can have two possible values: 0 or 1.

How does Two's Complement Binary Addition work?

In Two's Complement Binary Addition, negative numbers are represented by taking the complement of the positive number and adding 1. This is done by flipping all the bits (0s to 1s and 1s to 0s) and then adding 1 to the least significant bit (rightmost bit).

Why is Two's Complement Binary Addition used?

Two's Complement Binary Addition is used because it allows for a more efficient and consistent way to represent both positive and negative numbers in binary form. It also simplifies the process of performing arithmetic operations on these numbers.

Can you give an example of Two's Complement Binary Addition?

Sure, let's say we want to add -3 (represented as 101 in binary) and 5 (represented as 0101 in binary). First, we take the complement of 101, which gives us 010. Then, we add 1 to the least significant bit, which gives us 011. Finally, we perform the addition as we would with regular binary numbers, giving us a result of 0010, which is equivalent to 2 in decimal form.

What are the limitations of Two's Complement Binary Addition?

Two's Complement Binary Addition has a limited range of values it can represent. For example, with 8 bits, it can represent numbers from -128 to 127. It also does not have a unique representation for 0, as both 00000000 and 10000000 represent 0 and can cause confusion in some situations.