Two-Up: Betting on the Ninth Game?

• Thread starter mathsgeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary: I'm sorry. That was a mistake. I should NOT have said "there is a 6/10 chance it is defective". Since you are taking "4 calculators" out of the box, you are finding the probability that the first 4 you take out are defective. That means that the probability is [b]NOT[/b] (6/10)(5/9)(4/8)(3/7)= 360/5040= 6/84= 1/14. In fact, that is exactly what you wrote in the next paragraph. I apologize for my mistake.In summary, for a game of two up where two coins are tossed and bets are placed on
mathsgeek
I need help to answer this.

In a game of two up, twqo coins are tossed, bets are placed on whether coins give even (HH or TT) or odss (HT or TH). In the previous 8 games, evens has occurred each time. What is the best bet on the ninth game?

This is what i did but i don't think tis right
P = 1/(2^8) (Probability of 8 evens) + 0.5 (Probability of 1 odd)

Also i have one other q.\\A blind person has 3 drawers of sock. Each draw contains a red, black and white sock. If a sock is taken from each draw:
what is the probability of two socks are black?
what is the probability that one sock is red?

For these 2, i calculated the number of ways= 3^3 = 27, but don't know how to go from here

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea why you think this is "Calculus and Analysis". I am moving it to "Set Theory, Logic, Probability, and Statistics".

mathsgeek said:
I need help to answer this.

In a game of two up, twqo coins are tossed, bets are placed on whether coins give even (HH or TT) or odss (HT or TH). In the previous 8 games, evens has occurred each time. What is the best bet on the ninth game?
If we are to assume that each flip is independent of the others, even and odd are equally like to come up this time, just like all the times. One might, however, conclude that the coins are NOT fair and bet "even".

This is what i did but i don't think tis right
P = 1/(2^8) (Probability of 8 evens) + 0.5 (Probability of 1 odd)
That makes no sense to me. By using "0.5" you are assuming that the coins are fair and the fact that it came up even 8 times before is irrelevant. In any case, you have not said what "P" is! I assume it is a probability but you didn't say probability of what nor does the question ask for a probability.

Also i have one other q.\\A blind person has 3 drawers of sock. Each draw contains a red, black and white sock. If a sock is taken from each draw:
what is the probability of two socks are black?
The probability of "Black, Black, Other color", in that order, is (1/3)(1/3)(2/3)= 2/27. There are three different orders for "two black socks" (the others are "Black, Other Color, Black" and "Other Color, Black, Black" so the probability of two black socks is (2/27)(3)= 2/9.

what is the probability that one sock is red?
The probability of "Red, Other Color, Other Color", in that order, is (1/3)(2/3)(2/3)= 4/27. Again, there are 3 different order (the others are "Other Color, Red, Other Color" and "OTher Color, Other Color, Red) so the probability of exactly one sock red is (4/27)(3)= 4/9.

For these 2, i calculated the number of ways= 3^3 = 27, but don't know how to go from here

Thanks

Thanks, With the socks is it basically P(B) x P(B) x P(other colour) x 3 (number of combinations per 2 Blacks) for the probability? Also, With the coin so all games are independent? however, if i was asked, what's the probability of getting evens 8 times in a row, would the P(8 evens)= 1/(2^8) ? And say, if we wanted probability of two heads, 8 times in a row, would it be P(2Hs)= 1/(4^8)? Thanks

I have one last q i need help with. "A box contains 10 calculators and there is 60% chance that it is defective. If a person chooses four calculators, what is the probability all 4 are defective? Thanks (show calculations using combinations or permutations where possible)

With this, i assumed there 6 defective calculators in the box, then used combinations to find a possible of 210 combinations. Then did 6c4 to find ways to choose 4 defective calculators and got 15. Therefore, 15/210 = 1/14, is this correct? Or do you go 6/10 x 5/9 x 4/7 x 3/6 = 71/210

Last edited:
Any1?

mathsgeek said:
Thanks, With the socks is it basically P(B) x P(B) x P(other colour) x 3 (number of combinations per 2 Blacks) for the probability? Also, With the coin so all games are independent? however, if i was asked, what's the probability of getting evens 8 times in a row, would the P(8 evens)= 1/(2^8) ? And say, if we wanted probability of two heads, 8 times in a row, would it be P(2Hs)= 1/(4^8)? Thanks

I have one last q i need help with. "A box contains 10 calculators and there is 60% chance that it is defective. If a person chooses four calculators, what is the probability all 4 are defective? Thanks (show calculations using combinations or permutations where possible)

With this, i assumed there 6 defective calculators in the box, then used combinations to find a possible of 210 combinations. Then did 6c4 to find ways to choose 4 defective calculators and got 15. Therefore, 15/210 = 1/14, is this correct? Or do you go 6/10 x 5/9 x 4/7 x 3/6 = 71/210
Surely that is not a direct quote! "A box contains 10 calculators and there is a 60% chance that it is defective". Grammatically that "it" must refer to the box and I have no idea how a box can be defective! I think you mean "A box contains 10 calculators and there is a 60% chance that anyone is defective. That does NOT necessarily mean that there are 6 defective calculators in the box of 10 (that would be the "expected" value).

And if the problem did say "exactly 6 out of the 10 calculators in the box are defective" you woud find the probability that the first 4 you take out of the box are defective this way:

You take one calculator out of the box. There is a 6/10 chance it is defective.

If it is defective, then there are 5 defective calculator left in the box of 9 calculators. The probability that the next calculator is also defective is 5/9.

If it also is defective, then there are 4 defective calculators left in the box of 8 calculators. The probability that the second calculator you select is also defective is 4/8.

If it is defective, then there are 3 defective calculators left in the box of 7 calculators. The probability that the fourth calculator you select is also defective is 3/7.

I'll let you calculate the probability that the fourth calculator is defective. The probability all four calculators are defective is the product of all those probabilities.

But if you know that each calculator has a probability of .6 of being defective, then the probability of all four you choose being defective is just .64.

Related to Two-Up: Betting on the Ninth Game?

1. What is Two-Up and how does it relate to betting on the ninth game?

Two-Up is a traditional Australian coin-tossing game that involves betting on the outcome of a series of coin tosses. In the context of betting on the ninth game, it refers to a specific type of bet in which players predict the outcome of the ninth game in a series. In this case, the coin toss is used to determine the outcome of the game and the winner of the bet.

2. How is Two-Up different from other forms of betting?

Unlike other forms of betting, Two-Up relies solely on chance and does not involve any strategy or skill. The outcome of the bet is determined by the flip of a coin, making it a purely luck-based game. Additionally, Two-Up is often played in a social setting and is not typically associated with professional or organized gambling.

3. What is the history of Two-Up and why is it popular in Australia?

Two-Up has been played in Australia since the early 19th century and is believed to have originated among convicts in the penal colony of New South Wales. It gained popularity among soldiers during World War I and became a part of Australian culture, particularly on Anzac Day, a national day of remembrance for those who served in the armed forces. Its simplicity and social nature have also contributed to its enduring popularity in Australia.

4. Is Two-Up legal and regulated?

In Australia, Two-Up is legal and regulated in certain states and territories, such as New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. In these regions, it is only permitted to be played on Anzac Day and with special licenses. Outside of these areas, Two-Up is generally considered illegal. It is important to check local laws and regulations before participating in Two-Up.

5. What are the risks and benefits of betting on the ninth game in Two-Up?

As with any form of gambling, there are inherent risks involved in betting on the ninth game in Two-Up. Since it is a luck-based game, there is no way to guarantee a win, and players should only bet what they are willing to lose. However, some may enjoy the social aspect and the thrill of the game. It is also a relatively simple and inexpensive form of betting compared to other forms of gambling. It is important to gamble responsibly and be aware of the potential risks and benefits before participating in Two-Up.