Two Transformers, voltage before and after on two different coils

In summary, the conversation discusses a transformer with a primary coil carrying 120 V and a secondary coil carrying 6 V. It is asked what the voltage in the primary coil would be if the second coil is changed to have 8 V. The conversation also mentions that the textbook does not have any equations involving just the voltage of transformers and suggests using the formula V2=(N2/N1)V1 or setting up proportions. The attempt at a solution is to set up the proportion 120/6=x/8, resulting in x=160.
codytanner16

Homework Statement

We have a transformer with the primary coil carries 120 V and the secondary coil having 6 V. If you change the second coil to have 8V, what is the voltage in the primary coil?

Homework Equations

My textbook does not have any equations that involve just the voltage of transformers.

I do have V2=(N2/N1)V1

Or is just a set up of proportions? Like V1/V2=V1/V2

The Attempt at a Solution

120/6=x/8

so x=160?

Physics news on Phys.org
codytanner16 said:

Homework Statement

We have a transformer with the primary coil carries 120 V and the secondary coil having 6 V. If you change the second coil to have 8V, what is the voltage in the primary coil?

Homework Equations

My textbook does not have any equations that involve just the voltage of transformers.

I do have V2=(N2/N1)V1

Or is just a set up of proportions? Like V1/V2=V1/V2

The Attempt at a Solution

120/6=x/8

so x=160?

Yes, I think that's the idea. It's not really changing the coil, it's changing the input voltage, but I don't know how else to answer it.

Last edited:

Related to Two Transformers, voltage before and after on two different coils

1. What is the purpose of two transformers?

The purpose of two transformers is to change the voltage level of an electrical current. Each transformer has two coils, a primary and secondary, which are used to step up or step down the voltage level depending on the application.

2. How does the voltage change between the two coils of a transformer?

The voltage changes between the two coils of a transformer through the process of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current flows through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field, which induces a current in the secondary coil, resulting in a change in voltage.

3. What factors affect the voltage output of a transformer?

The voltage output of a transformer is affected by the number of turns in each coil, the frequency of the alternating current, and the magnetic properties of the core material. Additionally, the ratio of the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils determines the voltage change between the two coils.

4. Can the voltage output of a transformer be controlled?

Yes, the voltage output of a transformer can be controlled by adjusting the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils. By changing the ratio of turns, the voltage output can be stepped up or down to the desired level.

5. What is the difference between voltage before and after on two different coils of a transformer?

The voltage before and after on two different coils of a transformer is different due to the principle of electromagnetic induction. The primary coil converts the electrical energy into a magnetic field, while the secondary coil converts the magnetic field back into electrical energy at a different voltage level.