Two Stones Thrown Upward: Solving the Problem

• Thread starter matt23721
  • Start date
  • Tags
    stones
In summary, the two stones meet at a height of 7.159 seconds after being thrown upward at the same speed.
matt23721
Hey guys, I am new here, i was wondering if you could help me solve the following problems
ok...A stone is thrown vertically upward at a speed of 48.70 m/s at time t=0. A second stone is thrown upward with the same speed 4.390 seconds later. At what time are the two stones at the same height?
now i know the height where they meet is: 7.159s, but i can't solve the other part:
At what height do the two stones pass each other?
What is the downward speed of the first stone as they pass each other?

any help would be appreciated
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use s = ut + 1/2at^2 and solve the first.
As for the second, you calculate a maximum point for y then work from then on.Just try and solve for a function of the displacement of each one and then differentiate to get velocity results.

ut?? or do you mean at?

In these equations 'u' is initial velocity.
'v' is final velocity, 's' is displacement, 't' is time and 'a' is acceleration.

Another equation that is useful for the second part is:
v^2 = u^2 + 2 a s

Be careful to get the signs of u,v and a correct.

ok but how do i find 'u'??

matt23721 said:
ok but how do i find 'u'??
You've already said what it is ...

but once it reaches the peak... it fall down with accelration = 9.8m/s^2 right?

matt23721 said:
but once it reaches the peak... it fall down with accelration = 9.8m/s^2 right?
Be careful with your signs. If "+" is up, then the grav. accel. is negative. Otherwise, yes, the acceleration due to gravity applies consistently throughout.

wow I am so lost, lol... this is pathetic... is there anyway i can compute a parabola?

Look at the equation for height (s) in Post #2: it gives s as a 2nd order polynomial in t, i.e. a parabola. How's that? Think about that and maybe try plotting it (height as a function of time). Once you can do that for the two stones, you should be well on your way.

Related to Two Stones Thrown Upward: Solving the Problem

1. What is the problem being solved in "Two Stones Thrown Upward"?

The problem being solved in "Two Stones Thrown Upward" is the calculation of the height and time at which two stones, thrown upward from the ground with different initial velocities, will meet.

2. How is the problem solved in "Two Stones Thrown Upward"?

The problem is solved using the equations of motion and by setting the height of the two stones equal to each other, then solving for time.

3. Can the problem in "Two Stones Thrown Upward" be solved using any initial velocities?

Yes, the problem can be solved using any initial velocities as long as they are different for each stone.

4. Are there any assumptions made in solving the problem in "Two Stones Thrown Upward"?

The main assumption made is that there is no air resistance. This means that the stones will follow a parabolic path and their velocities will remain constant throughout their flight.

5. How accurate is the solution to the problem in "Two Stones Thrown Upward"?

The solution is accurate as long as the assumptions made hold true and the initial velocities are not too large. However, in real-life situations, factors such as air resistance and other external forces may affect the accuracy of the solution.